Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Michelins answer to me on Anakee 3 v PR3 Trail  (Read 8586 times)

Offline balders1450

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: EXPLORER
  • City / Town: Hinckley
Michelins answer to me on Anakee 3 v PR3 Trail
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:53:39 AM »
My Email to Michelin.......I currently have a Triumph 1200 Explorer, I don't go off road,  my rear tyre always lasts about 6,000 miles. I ran Dunlop Roadsmarts on my old GSA and have Tourance EXP's on the Triumph, but I want something better and thought of Michelin.

Many riders are giving good reviews on the PR3 Trail, but as the Anakee 3 is new there is nothing much out there. I can't even find any info on your website! So can you please shed some light on the subject

Will I get more mileage from the Anakee 3 or PR3 Trail and which will be better in the wet and the dry?

Do they both have the same compound but just a different tread pattern?

I do most of my mileage in Europe each year, playing in the Alps on the twistys, which have abrasive roads but never use Mways. So which tyre would you recommend to suit the bike and my style of riding best?

Their REPLY

Thanks for getting in touch.

We haven't done a mileage comparison as yet with the Pilot Road 3 and the Anakee 3.  The Anakee 3 lasted 25% longer than the Tourance EXP when tested independently by DEKRA in 2012 in your tyre sizes.  (Results may vary depending on motorcycle type and operating conditions).

The Pilot Road 3 will offer better wet weather performance, and will be more comfortable.

The Anakee 3 will offer better dry grip, and handling.  Bike magazine rated it as a offering a big improvement over regular adventure bike tyres.

The Pilot Road 3 is designed for road use only, the Anakee 3 is designed with light off roading as an option, fire roads, gravel trails etc, it's not aggressive enough for muddy full off road conditions.

The compounds and tread designs are completely different.

I hope that this makes your decision easier!

All they are telling is what's in the media!

Has anyone got a copy of "Bikes" test they can post? I can't find it anywhere on the interweb.  :440:
"I’m just admiring the shape of your skull."

Offline Tiger12

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer :-)
  • City / Town: Wrexham
Re: Michelins answer to me on Anakee 3 v PR3 Trail
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:54 AM »
Thats the problem now, so many tyres in the market from the same manufacturer and very little information for users to make an informed decision as to what to choose.

Sometimes it just feels like they have to produce a tyre just for the sake of it. I asked Metzeler what the difference betweent the EXP and NEXT are but got the same none informative response back.

Offline richyrich

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Graphite + farkles
  • City / Town: Shipton B'
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 06:40:08 PM »
From my point of veiw only of course :015: I think they answered your question reasonably well, taking into consideration the "blame & litigation" culture we have nowadays. If they told you that one tyre was definately the one for you and you had an incident then they are leaving themselves open for critisism. You state that you don't go off road and out of the two options then the PR3's are the tyre for you according to their reply, I think that is the best responce you will find from any manufacturer, when ultimately the choice is yours and endless.
just my opinion of course :031:
are we there yet dad

Offline Tiger12

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 06:59:41 PM »
More information on the web site would suffice, in fact the Anakee 3 isn't even shown on the UK web site. They are a lot of money to take a chance with so the more information the better, maybe a graphical chart or something so a clearer picture of were in the range a specific tyre fits (that's all brands not just Michelin).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:02:04 PM by Tiger12 »

Offline SleepyOwl

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tex
  • City / Town: Saltash
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 07:05:03 PM »
 :0461:

No manufacturer of any product makes something just for the sake of it. Oddly enough they sell products to make a profit!

In todays fast changing market us buyers dont have the same "staying power" that we used to have. We expect to see a new or "updated" product every two to three years.
Without the guy from Michelin riding on the back of your bike it is impossible for him to categoricaly recommend what is exactly the specific tyre that you need. I think he was as clear as he could be and had he recommended one product over the other then we would all be saying the other product was not up to the job.

Tyres will always have the ability to outperform us mere riders.

Everything is Amazing and No one is Happy

Brian

Offline Tiger12

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 07:17:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by SleepyOwl [+]
No manufacturer of any product makes something just for the sake of it.

That was a tongue in cheek comment, with regards to the Metzeler range I recon its:

off-road = Tourance
soft road = EXP
all road = Next

With Michelin its

off-road = Anakee 2?
soft road = Anakee 3
all road = PR3 trail

But I'd like to be sure.

Recent Topics

nonskid