Author Topic: Engine FAILURE  (Read 43321 times)

Offline discodiver5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Suzuki Gixer 750 TT K7
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Cirencester
Engine FAILURE
on: May 14, 2013, 01:28:07 PM
All

After 12000 miles my explorer has had an engine failure  :003:. , I have only used the bike twice really once with Nick Sanders going across the USA last October when the mileage hit 8300 and then going down to Jerez MotoGP last week. We had estimated a mileage of 3000 so I did not think that I needed to service it before I went due to the mileage being only 8300 and had booked it in for the week after I returned. All of the riding I undertook was very low engine stress as it was at a constant rpm and on cruise control for 95% of the current mileage, basically 80mph at 5000rpm.

When the engine failed on Friday evening it got me within 40 miles of home before exploding in the outside lane at 80 in rush hour on the M4 dumpin all the oil over the rear wheel and right leg! Major tankslapper and then tried to get to hard shoulder whilst knobbers undertook me. Could have been a major disaster!

Even with all the oil that has come out the inspection window still shows the oil level to be half full on the side stand and I regularly checked the level and had no leaks or needed to top up the oil level. Upon closer inspection on Sunday night the damage is not in the main cylinder head but what appears to actually be a small front "gear/ cog" arrangement on the front RHS lower engine casing. This has cracked and a small section of casing can be removed showing a gear/ cog of some sort inside is a lot of broken metal (eek). The photo shows the crack on the upper part just above the oil inspection window.

As the bike was purchased on the 21st April 2012 and is therefore only a year old I would not have thought a failure should occur whether or not an oil change took place. However Triumph are now deliberating whether to accept it as a warranty claim or not.

I am posting this to basically warn all of you there "may" be an issue (and lets hope Triumph see sense and investigate) but also make sure you stick to your service intervals otherwise you may end up like me with a (possibly) large bill.

Regards

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Engine FAILURE
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 01:36:49 PM
Sorry to hear about that. It seems to be in the area of the drive for the Balance shaft on the bike. See the link.......

http://image.motorcyclistonline.com/f/firstrides/1308_2013_triumph_tiger_explorer_xc/52453863/122-1308-00-o%2B2013-triumph-tiger-explorer-XC%2Bengine-cut-away.jpg

I have honestly not heard of anything like this happening elsewhere. Hopefully it is a one off. I think it is unlikely to be oil change related.  Best of luck with the warranty claim. Hopefully you will get a new engine.

Offline discodiver5

• Explorer Junior
  • Topic Author
  • Suzuki Gixer 750 TT K7
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Cirencester
Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:51:52 PM
Grump

thanks for that and also for the engine cutaway link! I never thought of doing a search for that. The balancer shaft cog is still intact but something has hit the casing there very hard. Cant see from the cutaway but could be a conrod after all?

Anyway i'll keep my fingers crossed with warranty otherwise I'm sure I can stir up some bad press :-)

thanks once again.

Offline Dave W

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Crewe/Cheshire
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:38:56 PM
My bike suffered a failed alternator - not heard of one going before or since. There will always be unrelated failures, especially with anything mechanical. I would expect Triumph to honour your claim assuming your dealer can support/back you up.
Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Offline Expo3460

• Explorer Pro
  • Ride along and have fun
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 2013
  • City / Town: Birkerød
Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 02:54:36 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your engine failure - I hope Triumph will handle it under warranty
Tiger Explorer 2013 - Graphite Grey - Handguards, Heated grips, 22" Madstad screen, Tank Pad, Triumph panniers,  2 x USB output

Past machines: Yamaha 250, Honda CX500, Yamaha XJ 750 Seca, Lifan LF250-4, Yamaha TDM 900 ABS

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 03:25:34 PM
Wow... Good luck with the warranty claim... One question though, why is the bolt unscrewed on the cover?

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Reply #6 on: May 14, 2013, 03:35:07 PM
Also, while I don't want to relate one thing to another... Have you had any engine noise concerns or cam chain rattle concerns?

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 04:27:20 PM
Messy!

Glad you stayed upright and didn't get hurt.

Wishing you success with the warranty claim; keep us informed.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline Badboybez

• Explorer Master
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 04:36:40 PM
 :005: :005: :005:

Lost for words.
In Madness You Dwell

IBA Number:- 53026

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
Reply #9 on: May 14, 2013, 04:39:51 PM
Hey Discodiver, glad to hear you are well and dealing with a warranty issue not a critical care issue. I would not be too concerned at this point regarding the warranty claim. Initial reactions are often no. I am confident Triumph will do the right thing for you. Please keep us informed as to your progress and the final outcome.

S

nonskid