Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Play in rear wheel  (Read 3673 times)

RL-Explorer and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
Re: Play in rear wheel
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 12:20:17 PM »
Mine has had it for 26000 miles, absolutely normal.

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

Offline sirsidneyrd

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: X12-Laverda Jota
  • City / Town: Cotswolds
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 12:41:37 PM »
Glad to have you along "God" - i can relax again  :001:
Tiffen - splendid idea - in the lunge

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 03:41:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tex Trig [+]
Hi again grump, we met in France, I had the black tex!

Hi again TT.  Good to hear from you. Sent you a PM.

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
  • If it has tits or tires there will be trouble
  • Bike: The best colour Blue
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 06:31:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by ian Y [+]
Thanks everbody for the responses, the dealer has phoned me to say it is quite normal and within tolerances .

I have rung Triumph UK and they told me the maximum tolerance is 0.5mm so I will get hold of a DTI and measure mine hot and cold and see what I get.

Thanks again

Ian
You will have probably read I have posted on this issue a few times ...My FDU was replaced due to excessive lateral free play around 2mm
The unit that was replaced is now also showing  free play of around 1.2mm.
I subsequently wrote to Triumph on the matter as the dealer network has little of no experience dealing with FD's ...unlike BM
The workshop manual also has no maximum tolerances  with which the dealer or owner can refer to.

In the letter I have had back this week they state that "run out is acceptable" ...of course it is any mechanical component has to have movement to work
They then go on to say that I'm ill advised about no tolerances being stated in the shop manual and that the maximum rear wheel run out is 0.5mm, this being on page 1.37 & this is an acceptable tolerance for workshop technicians & Vosa to work to??

I had to ring them today to clarify statements in their letter.
1.I'm using the term Lateral free play, which refers to holding the wheel at 6 & 12 and rocking it too & fro... they use the term rear wheel radial axial run out. at 0.5mm
I'm sorry what they are referring to is rim run out (i.e. if a kerb has been clouted & the rim distorted)

When I told them that if I used their tolerance mine was already 0.7mm over the maximum... they continued to say I was wrong. But when I pointed out that the  figures in the manual refer to the front & rear rim run out following impact he got hold of the manual ...and after a moment or two of silence he agreed.
So what please is the maximum lateral free play..."it is in here" ...so what page is it on ...."can we ring you back as I need to liaise with our technical department"

I await the call

I'm not trying to cause them problems...all I want is the maximum tolerance figures, but if I cant find it how do the dealers get on??
Some days your the pigeon & other days the statue

Offline ian Y

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: White TEX
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 07:21:40 PM »
Hi Olympus,

Ok so it looks like they gave me poor info , I would be very interested to hear the outcome when they do get back to you.

They will have to come up with an answer soon or there will be a real problem when it comes to getting these bikes an MOT.

Cheers

Ian

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 07:40:30 PM »
The other point I made in my letter is that as far as Vosa are concerned the maximum lateral free play is 2mm (granted it is on a BMW)
As we don't know what the figures are from Triumph, these are the ones I quoted I was advised that "Triumph do not seek advise or guidance from Vosa , as we are the manufacturer and the supplier of the FD, we tell Vosa what the maximum permissible tolerance is"

I stand corrected Mr Triumph ...so what are the maximum tolerances please ...it's a quite simple question?

I have to hold my hands up as I don't know the motorcycle angle with Vosa ...But I do know the HGV angle and that is Vosa set the standard...truck manufacturer don't like it but have to comply

Offline ian Y

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: White TEX
  • City / Town: Somerset
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 08:12:38 PM »
The issue I have had with bike MOT's is on old Harley's with tapper roller wheel bearings where they are supposed to have a small amount of play . I always used take the page from the manual that states what the permissible play was to save any arguments .

I think most testers will question any play in an item like a shaft unless you can stick a piece of paper under there nose to prove otherwise , I suppose the other alternative is having to take it to a Triumph dealer for MOT.

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:50 PM »
I do find it bizarre that a factory workshop manual is produced, and tolerances for an item such as the FD are omitted ....is it they believe the unit will outlast the rest of the machine, so these are superfluous?

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 09:26:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by ian Y [+]
Thanks everbody for the responses, the dealer has phoned me to say it is quite normal and within tolerances .

I have rung Triumph UK and they told me the maximum tolearance is 0.5mm so I will get hold of a DTI and measure mine hot and cold and see what I get.

Thanks again

Ian

With a DTI you will need a mag mount & a support frame ...I fabricated a frame from 1"x1" square tube cut & formed into a opened out Z. I drilled one end and bolted this through where the bracket on the exhaust hold the stand bump stop.
The bottom of the frame is parallel with the ground approx. 25mm up. the mag mount sits on this perfectly level with the rim
When the readings are taken you get consistent figures unaffected by movement.

Offline waz2068

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XC wannabe, black
  • City / Town: Hobart, Tas
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 05:18:42 AM »
Hi everyone. I was washing my bike (Jan 2013 model with wire wheels) today and noticed that I too have an amount of free play on the back wheel.
If I hold the tyre at the 12-6 o'clock it's there and if I hold at the 9-3 o'clock position it's there.
Whilst I understand they state that there is an allowable amount of free play (from what I read its .5mm) where do they measure this from? Is it at the rim or at the shaft? Seeing as the amount of movement will increase the further you move away from the axis I would see this point as being rather crucial.

Or have I missed this information somewhere? :187:

Recent Topics

nonskid