Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Play in rear wheel  (Read 3643 times)

Offline waz2068

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XC wannabe, black
  • City / Town: Hobart, Tas
Re: Play in rear wheel
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 06:23:37 AM »
OK so I had my 'Tech' look at the play in the rear wheel. Yep, he agreed and he certainly doesn't think it's normal. It was hardly noticeable cold but you could feel it once the diff heated up. He contacted Triumph Australia and the story that he relayed to me was that the warranty guy at Triumph Aus. went out and checked a few new ones and they had the same. So when I asked as to what Triumph said was a reasonable amount (tolerance); no idea!!!!

You have to be f&^%#n kidding me. Triumph Australia doesn't know and had to check other new bikes to see if they had play... for F%$#ks sake!!!!!!!

All I've been told is my concern has  been noted on my service file and if a problem should ever arise it'll be warranted, even after the 2 year mark. I must admit to being impressed with that statement. I've asked for this in writing and have been assured I will receive an email shortly.

Waz

Offline Richarbl

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 11:17:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by waz2068 [+]
OK so I had my 'Tech' look at the play in the rear wheel. Yep, he agreed and he certainly doesn't think it's normal. It was hardly noticeable cold but you could feel it once the diff heated up. He contacted Triumph Australia and the story that he relayed to me was that the warranty guy at Triumph Aus. went out and checked a few new ones and they had the same. So when I asked as to what Triumph said was a reasonable amount (tolerance); no idea!!!!

You have to be f&^%#n kidding me. Triumph Australia doesn't know and had to check other new bikes to see if they had play... for F%$#ks sake!!!!!!!

All I've been told is my concern has  been noted on my service file and if a problem should ever arise it'll be warranted, even after the 2 year mark. I must admit to being impressed with that statement. I've asked for this in writing and have been assured I will receive an email shortly.

Waz

Good luck with expecting logic from Triumph Australia. Today I was told that all of the gearbox/final drive noises that I have with my Explorer are because of the cylinder head problems. This person was of the opinion that the "cam bucket" problem and those noise are resonating down into the gearbox and are the cause of the final drive whining.
What a total load of complete bullcrap.
As for me I have finally gotten confirmation that my cylinder head is going to be replaced so that is one problem down and only two more to go. Then I am going to sell this bucket of crap and never purchase anything from Triumph again.

Offline Olympus

• Explorer Master
  • If it has tits or tires there will be trouble
  • Bike: The best colour Blue
  • City / Town: Rochester, Kent
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 06:08:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by waz2068 [+]
Hi everyone. I was washing my bike (Jan 2013 model with wire wheels) today and noticed that I too have an amount of free play on the back wheel.
If I hold the tyre at the 12-6 o'clock it's there and if I hold at the 9-3 o'clock position it's there.
Whilst I understand they state that there is an allowable amount of free play (from what I read its .5mm) where do they measure this from? Is it at the rim or at the shaft? Seeing as the amount of movement will increase the further you move away from the axis I would see this point as being rather crucial.

Or have I missed this information somewhere? :187:
0.5mm is not the maximum allowable movement in the FD bearings ...this figure is for wheel rim run out (i.e. if you have clipped a kerb or something like that)
The free play should be checked by grasping the wheel at 6 & 12 o clock and rocking it too and fro.
We still await the actual bearing free play from Triumph...letter sent a Month ago and still no reply ....conformation of receipt and an apology by nothing else.
I have also now got my dealer pressing the same buttons for the maximum allowable tolerances ...the silence I think is because they haven't actually worked one out, 'cause if they had the manual would have been printed with this in.
Some days your the pigeon & other days the statue

Offline waz2068

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: XC wannabe, black
  • City / Town: Hobart, Tas
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 08:49:58 AM »
0.5 mm for the run out of the back wheel. I assuming that's for the cast wheel? I was given a run out figure for the spoked version of 2 mm :005:

I just got home from work and checked the play again, yep certainly worse when warm. Mine also seems to have more movement in certain spots (rotation angles). As for the email that I was too receive; turned out to be just a screen grab of the notation made in the service log stating that I had raised the concern and that they had informed me that it was within specification...... Naturally I've since sent an email asking what specifications they might be??? Awaiting a reply but won't hold my breath. Will ring them tomorrow.

Offline embranco

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Florianopolis
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 03:37:42 AM »
Hi People,

Sorry for resurrecting this post, but after some time the play on rear wheel increase?

I ask because I have a Tiger 2018 (8000 Km) with play on rear wheel and yet the Triumph doesn't know the tolerance.

The dealer says this is normal have play on rear wheel.

After be owners for long time at your opinion about this issue?

Sorry by my clumsy English

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2019, 05:38:17 AM »
Here is a more recent thread. This comes up from time to time:

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,18585.msg217762.html#msg217762
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline embranco

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Florianopolis
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2019, 02:38:15 PM »
So, this play on rear wheel  does not increase over the time?

This play on rear whell cause some risk?

The BMW GS 1200 have same shaft system and the BMW have a service bulletin, the normal play is less than 1mm and need be measured with cold system.

Follow service bulletin

© 2004, BMW of North America, LLC BMWMotorrad USA
Service Information Bulletin
Subject: Bearing play at the rear wheel drive
Model:
Details:
Aftersales
Solution:
Dealer Operation/
General Manager
Sales-
Date: February 2005
Bulletin #33 001 05 (011)
Source: 33 74/2004
BMW Motorrad USA Service and Technical
R 1200 GS
1: In the rear drive of the R 1200 GS the ring gear is supported by two  types of bearings:one floating bearing and one fixed bearing without preload. Inherent in this design is a small amount of bearing play at the rear wheel. With all components  manufactured and assembled to stated tolerances it is possible that play in these bearings can be felt and measured at the rear wheel.
This type of bearing play has no effect on motorcycle handling or on the durability of the bearings.

2: There is a possibility of play developing between the splined wheel
flange (P/N 33 177 668 659) and the axle tube of some motorcycles manufactured prior to  08/2004, US VIN# ZL 76187.
1: In the event of a customer complaint, an inspection and measurement of rear wheel bearing play is to be performed as described below.
With cold component the total play (back and forth travel) allowable at the wheel rim edge is 1mm(maximum).
Refer to the R 1200 GS Repair Manual CD for measuring procedures as well as temperature definition of "cold components".
Replace the entire rear-wheel drive assembly if the play exceeds specifications.

2: If the complaint is "bearing play at the rear wheel" you must first check that the splined flange is secure before performing the measurement noted in point
#1. When rocking the rear wheel back and forth, you must first make sure there is no movement between the wheel flange, the rear wheel and the axle tube.
   If play is noticeable between these components you must replace the entire rear wheel drive assembly (complete with flange).
Replacing the splined wheel flange only will not solve the situation, because in all probability the splines on the axle  tube will have suffered
some degree of wear as well.
If you are in doubt, you are requested to contact your
respective Aftersales Business Consultant.
Warranty: Covered under the terms of the New Motorcycle Limited Warranty.
Important Note: Screw 1 is a drain plug for repair-related oil changes; it is not for checking the oil level. When filling the rear drive assembly with oil pour in the defined quantity (0.25 l for initial fill, or 0.23 l for oil changes) through the bore for the ABS sensor.
We highly recommend using BMW Super Synthetic Gear oil. 75W 90, P/N 07 51 0 394 082

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 02:52:22 PM by embranco »

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2019, 04:34:00 PM »
BMWs have completely different internals in their final drives. Like comparing apples and oranges.

The only reported issues with Explorer final drives have been seals leaking, with I think one exception where the hub (which is heat/pressed onto the shaft) came loose.

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,17969.0.html
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics