Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Explorer toolkit. (or lack of)  (Read 6293 times)

Offline erskev1215

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: sandbach
Re: Explorer toolkit. (or lack of)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2015, 06:40:22 PM »
 Ive seen better tool kits out of a Christmas cracker .then again never had to use it .looked at it when I picked her up thought carnt do a lot with that :192:

Offline jub jub

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Central, GA
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2018, 03:15:46 AM »
I know, an old thread but, I feel is still pertinent. I looked at my tool kit for the first time after owning the bike for three years. I thought I had been ripped off. Seriously, for the price of these bikes they could have at least gave us a tool kit that looks like it could be halfway useful.

Time to make my own.

Online kenw

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Red Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2018, 04:15:15 AM »
I've just bought a Motohansa compact toolkit, and a Stop & Go tyre plugger to take on my round Oz trip.
The toolkit is quite nice.  Excellent driver handle.  (Didn't need the multi-tool in it, got lots of those.)
https://www.motohansa.com.au/motohansa-pro-compact-tool-kit
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stop-Go-Pocket-Tyre-Tire-Plugger-For-All-Tubeless-Tires-Tyres/272118029408?epid=1244598871&hash=item3f5b7f9c60:g:9J8AAOSwGqxbF8DN

Offline The Midnight Rambler

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Red Tiger 1200 XrT
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2018, 06:42:55 PM »
Whenever I do a trip I bolt on my toolbox.
https://www.dsbikeprotection.com/en/triumph-explorer-1200/raid-toolbox-tiger-1200-explorer-103
Which has just enough room for the stop 'n go puncture kit, airman pump, cable ties, and small first aid kit.
Torx and allen head multi tools live in the tool roll
mobile Phone lives in jacket!
Of course I talk to myself.
Sometimes I need expert advice.

Offline belpas

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Up North Mate !!!
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2018, 07:04:29 PM »
Every time i do a trip my bike resembles the back of a MAC tools truck,even to the expense of having no clothes..Funny thing is at the end of the trips i come back stinking with clothes to match but never seem to break down :006:....missus plays hell every time :008:
Why do we die just as we are getting the hang of it

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2018, 09:19:58 AM »
AFAIR, no bike is delivered with a proper toolkit anymore.

However, you wouldn't believe how many situations I solved with the standard T12 kit! Bikes, cars, guitars, you name it! I just added a very small foldable plier to it and that's it.

Just the other day, I even purged the clutch of a stranded man on the side of the road. His bike was an old Aprilia with no gasket in the clutch reservoir. He had a bottle of brake fluid, but no clue as to how make the thing clutch again. By an extraordinary coincidence, the Triumph 14 spanner was the exact right size for his slave cylinder nut.

The best tool is and will always be the one you've got at hand!

Offline Hawkeye

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XRx Low
  • City / Town: Billericay
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2018, 02:38:39 PM »
Best tool in my toolkit under my seat is my Knipex Raptor 8741250 - one tool which fits all nuts from 10mm - 32mm perfectly. Not cheap, but so useful! No need to carry spanners (arguably)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Knipex-87-41-250-RAPTOR-Multiple-Slip-Joint-Spanner-Wrench-Pliers-250mm-40125/142894148911?epid=1457340442&hash=item214527ad2f:g:JGoAAOSwGiRTrESd

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2018, 04:06:38 PM »
Nice!
But it wouldn't access most of the heads I had to un/screw in the past years...

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2018, 10:40:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by belpas [+]
Every time i do a trip my bike resembles the back of a MAC tools truck,even to the expense of having no clothes..Funny thing is at the end of the trips i come back stinking with clothes to match but never seem to break down :006:....missus plays hell every time :008:
I carry tools to ensure that I don't break down. I carry a tire patch kit and pump to ensure that I don't get a flat. And I carry rain gear to ensure that it does not rain. And it works every time.  :006:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2018, 10:42:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by NiK [+]
AFAIR, no bike is delivered with a proper toolkit anymore.
The Ural is delivered with pretty much everything you need to rebuild the engine. And you may have to.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics