Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Cee Bailey 23" vs Powerbronze Review  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Mardi Gras

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • City / Town: San Antonio, TX
Cee Bailey 23" vs Powerbronze Review
« on: November 12, 2013, 06:35:21 AM »
I bought the bike with a Cee Bailey 23" on it, rode about 2k miles (in 45 days) and dropped the bike in the mud it and broke the CB and cockpit subframe.  The replacement windscreen is a Powerbronze, I am not aware that they make different heights but if somebody corrects me I'll find out the specific model.

Never rode it with a stock screen.

The Cee Bailey screen is much thicker lexan, more robust, flatter, wider, and quite a bit taller.  I kept this windscreen in the second from the lowest position.  I'm 6'0", I could just barely see over the top of it while seated, seat is in the high position.  I felt zero wind.  Sometimes I'd get hot and stand up just to get wind, or have to hang my head way off the side to clear fog or rain.  When standing to negotiate obstacles I often found myself trying to avoid bopping my helmet's chin on the top of the screen.  On one occasion I was breaking pretty thick brush, the Cee Bailey had no problem taking the brunt of any brush or even branches around 1" in diameter.  There were a couple that hit high, and hard, I was actually surprised they didn't break it. 

By comparison, the Powerbronze is a lot thinner lexan, a much narrower windscreen, especially up top.  The top 10" or so are not much wider than my helmet, but it looks like this:
|_____|
(Top-down view, down is forward)

The wings on the sides are about 3.5" wide.  The very top of the windscreen has what looks like a drastic curve in it to flip the wind over your head.  My eyes are now about 3 or 4 inches above the windscreen.  The wings on the sides of the screen, and the curve at the top both terribly distort whatever you see through them.  It was irritating at first but because this windscreen is so much shorter and narrower it's much easier to just look around the windscreen.  The wind protection is phenomenal.  The bubble of (nearly) 100% wind protection was much larger on the Cee Bailey, but the bubble on the Powerbronze is big enough to completely protect me from the wind, just as good as the CB.  The only difference is I am aware that the violent, turbulent world rushing by is just a little closer to my head and shoulders.  I settled on a setting that is 3 clicks up from the lowest.  The most beautiful thing is that my high-speed wobble is gone.  With the CB 23" the bike developed a wobble at around 109mph getting worse scary as speed increased.  Now it's planted all the way up through 120mph+.  I didn't even know it was the windscreen causing it.

Overall I'm liking the PB over the CB 23".  I don't think it would stand up to the abuse that I delivered to the CB busting brush that day, but it's easier to work around, provides nearly as good wind protection and handles the air around the rider and bike much more smoothly than the CB.  For me it's speed, I'm sure there's a fuel economy boost there, too.

Worth noting is that I installed the PB windscreen with the spacers that came with the CB. 
2012 Tiger Explorer
2007 CBR1000RR - RIP
1995 Accord Stationwagon

Offline capt_ted

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gainesville,FL
Re: Cee Bailey 23" vs Powerbronze Review
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:03:22 AM »
I just tested my 23" Cee Bailey screen at similar speeds  and had the same sphincter tightening experience. I thought it was my luggage or loose spokes or steering bearings,  the other day in high cross winds. Did the same run with out luggage and had the shake again. Same run with stock shield and luggage-smooth. Last time I go that fast, EVER.   It's the windscreen. I was going to sell it on the forum but am just going to send it back to Cee Bailey.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 02:43:42 AM by capt_ted »

Offline Sidi1200

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Phantom Explorer
  • City / Town: Sydney
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »
Thanks for that insightful report, Mardi Gras.
I was entertaining the Purchase of the MRA X-screen Tour wing only, on my Modified TEX Standard screen. For the Cost of the PB or the MRA wing is not much different for what you get... well done.. for that.      :028:
Anyone can make it complicated..... Its pure Genius to make it Simple....
A Scotsman once told me that "the best glass to drink whisky out of, is the one that doesn't leak"

Offline lostlogik

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 07:10:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by capt_ted [+]
I just tested my 23" Cee Bailey screen at similar speeds  and had the same sphincter tightening experience. I thought it was my luggage or loose spokes or steering bearings,  the other day in high cross winds. Did the same run with out luggage and had the shake again. Same run with stock shield and luggage-smooth. Last time I go that fast, EVER.   It's the windscreen. I was going to sell it on the forum but am just going to send it back to Cee Bailey.
Nor sure what was wrong but I've had the 23" CB screen since they were first made and have never had any problem with it at any speed. I love it and was glad to ditch the stock and touring screens when it arrived. Rock solid.

Offline capt_ted

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys 1000
  • City / Town: Gainesville,FL
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 12:14:37 AM »
 I also had my suspension set on all the way off. Front and rear and that might have been the issue not the Cee Bailey.

My second run with the stock screen was with the front and rear shocks set to factory recommended as in the owners manual. I now don't think it was due to the Cee Bailey but something else.

I also checked and my side cases were not swinging at all so that could have contributed to the wobble. It was also blowing like stink last Sunday at least 25 mph and gusty.

It might have not been the Cee Bailey but just a combination of other factors-I still had some good luck, very good luck not to have lost total control. Yes, I learned my lesson, the easy way this time.  :020:

Recent Topics