Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Do (still) you like your TEX?  (Read 47814 times)

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
Re: Do (still) you like your TEX?
« Reply #390 on: September 02, 2018, 09:28:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Icy [+]

One babe to one side, the other babe to the other side. at 17,500 miles on my second TEX. Would buy another one in a heart-beat!

She makes you look pretty good, Icy. In fact, they both do... :001:
Jon

Online Icy

• Explorer Master
  • Stationary Traveler
  • Bike: 2018 TEX XCx
  • City / Town: New York
« Reply #391 on: September 03, 2018, 03:54:46 AM »
*Originally Posted by Jon [+]
She makes you look pretty good, Icy. In fact, they both do... :001:

roger that  :821:
couldn't agree more
"It's easy to learn how to speak, it takes a lot more to learn how to actually say something." ~Icy
http://instagram.com/soksa.icy/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/soksa/
https://www.youtube.com/user/SokSa/videos
http://www.swordclassri.com/

Offline peejay1977

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 Explorer XR
  • City / Town: Warrington
« Reply #392 on: September 03, 2018, 11:23:25 AM »
9000miles and 2 and a bit years later and I do still love my Gen2 XR, I love the look, the comfort, how it rides, but one thing that would make me not buy a new one next June is the engine heat. I've been riding 14 years, granted not adventure bikes, but I've never encountered heat like it. So much so I spend a proportion of riding it stood up to get wind into my groin!

Hearing that the Gen3's aren't any better hasn't inspired me with alot of confidence sadly :(

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #393 on: September 03, 2018, 08:36:19 PM »
60k miles, Mk1. In August I did a 2.5k trip up to Shetland, Orkney, and some of the Outer and Inner Hebrides, and got back on two worn-out tyres and 80 miles overdue for a service. I've now done a full service right down to retiming the cams (use the official method - it does give different results), changed both tyres to Road 5 and hand the suspension fettled at MCT, all within a week. The old Heffalump is running so sweetly she feels better than the last new demo bike I tried.

Offline DavidGriff

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Fair Oak Eastleigh
« Reply #394 on: September 04, 2018, 10:27:33 AM »
I have just completed the 50k miles service on my 2012 Mk 1.  Opted to do it myself because

A) my dealer service experience has been pitiful. Over priced, poor quality, fuel lines not connected properly, internal panel fixings broken, and the last straw, tried to get me to fit a new shaft drive because they couldn't stop an oil leak, turns out, they didn't clean the surface first.   :232:  sorry, got carried away but both Destination Triumph and Bulldog have retuned my bike in a dangerous condition after 4 consecutive services and been caught lying about the work they did and didn't do.

B), minor service, within my skill set and at 50K I am well out of the warrantee period so why not.

Do I still love it?  Despite the weight, the buffeting and a few other niggles, yes I do.  I have ridden the new Tiger 1200, it's brilliant and yes, better.  I have also ridden the 800.  Love it but in both cases, not enough to justify the upgrade whilst mine still takes me and Mrs Griff on regular 2500mile Euro trips.  There is also something about the great fun I have had with this brute of a bike and it has taken great care of me over the years so until it or I wear out, I'm keeping it.

My real problem come back to the dealers.  None of the services have been carried out correctly and so I will probably never buy another Triumph again.  If I give up on the Tex, there isn't another bike out there that floats my boat.  Also, the money I save I can invest in a middle weight something to take the strain of Tigger  :028:

Offline Upthepalace

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Salisbury
« Reply #395 on: September 05, 2018, 08:48:58 AM »
I'm on my second Gen 1.  Have strayed a couple of times, downsized etc but go back to a Tex. Absolutely love mine and want to keep it until it's knackered.  have tried both the Gen 2 and 3 but prefer the simplicity of the Gen 1 whilst appreciating why people like all the gubbins of the 2 and 3.

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #396 on: September 12, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »
While my relatively new Gen 3 XCa was in for work at the dealers today I had a small 50km round trip on a loaner Gen 3 XRx Low. Although I am 6ft it was great ergonomically and I would happily recommenced that model to anyone 5'10" or below. I found it quite a different ride to my XCa, much simpler round town at slow speed. I don't have a problem with the XCa, the Low was just easier again. Having ridden them back to back I also noticed that the Arrow can sounds exactly the same as the stock can (to me), I couldn't tell the difference at all! I would encourage anyone finding the T12 a little too top heavy to try the Low version, it's ACE!

Online Benchmark

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Halifax
« Reply #397 on: September 13, 2018, 08:02:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
While my relatively new Gen 3 XCa was in for work at the dealers today I had a small 50km round trip on a loaner Gen 3 XRx Low. Although I am 6ft it was great ergonomically and I would happily recommenced that model to anyone 5'10" or below. I found it quite a different ride to my XCa, much simpler round town at slow speed. I don't have a problem with the XCa, the Low was just easier again. Having ridden them back to back I also noticed that the Arrow can sounds exactly the same as the stock can (to me), I couldn't tell the difference at all! I would encourage anyone finding the T12 a little too top heavy to try the Low version, it's ACE!

I'm 5'6" and a bit  :016: but discounted the low version as it's not available with everything. Some may say its a not required but I do enjoy the quick shifter for one. Then there's the lack of centre stand, not an issue for most people and wouldn't be for me but it comes into its own turning the bike around on the turntable in the garage (saves a 7 point turn  :008:) I've lowered the bike myself with the kit from Lust and although I can't flat foot it I can live with it and thoroughly enjoy my XRT  :001:

Online XCaTel

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #398 on: September 13, 2018, 01:35:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Benchmark [+]
I'm 5'6" and a bit  :016: but discounted the low version as it's not available with everything. Some may say its a not required but I do enjoy the quick shifter for one. Then there's the lack of centre stand, not an issue for most people and wouldn't be for me but it comes into its own turning the bike around on the turntable in the garage (saves a 7 point turn  :008:) I've lowered the bike myself with the kit from Lust and although I can't flat foot it I can live with it and thoroughly enjoy my XRT  :001:
Yes, I reckon if they are not going to offer an XRt low Triumph should give special dispensation to buy a few common extras such as the quickshifter, hill hold etc.

Offline Tigraid

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '16 R1200GSA
  • City / Town: Dursley
« Reply #399 on: September 14, 2018, 09:55:07 AM »
I tried a brand new Tiger 800 XRt from the dealership recently as my back isn't getting any better and I thought about maybe something a bit lighter than my Gen 1 TEX XC.

Things I liked a lot about the 800:   plenty of power and more than enough torque for solo riding and touring but not so sure it would be as relaxing or capable 2-up.  Nice and low, at 5'8" I could easily get both feet flat on the floor with the standard seat.  I liked the new TFT screen but the tendency was to fiddle and take my eyes off the road (not a good idea in rush hour traffic!) when I first got on the bike.  It had good comfort and the pegs were low enough not to have my knees bent up too much under me so I reckon it'd be fine all day comfort-wise but only of the seat was a little firmer.

Things I didn't like:  Handling:  It may have been the OEM tyres or suspension settings but first 40mph run into a medium left hand bend had the bike running way too wide until I gave it an armful of opposite lock.  On several other corners up to 60mph it felt the same.  It just didn't want to drop in like the TEX does on it's Michelin Anakee 2's.  It was fine at low speed but needed a little more concentrated effort as the bars are so much narrower than the ones on the TEX.  Wind/weather protection wasn't as good.  It buffeted me even with the high screen setting on the motorway.

Would I change me Gen1 TEX for a brand spanking new Tiger 800 XRT?  Not on your nelly!  I preferred almost everything about the TEX other than slow speed off-bike paddling it about which is only where I ever find the mass a problem. In all other respects, except for filtering through traffic, the TEX was better to my mind, was quite noticeably more grunty, was more comfortable and a better touring proposition.  That's just my biased opinion though and others may feel differently.  The grass may look greener but on closer inspection, it's not quite as nice a green!

Recent Topics

nonskid