Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Block changing multiple gears  (Read 3330 times)

Offline sidd

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Wiltshire
Re: Block changing multiple gears
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:52:12 PM »
Triumph are missing a few tricks in their operator's manual. I reckon they should hire you to rewrite it! :152:
Blue TEx:, Trekker E52 top box, Jesse panniers

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:09:12 PM »
Interesting question on riding style. I am a single gear change per clutch action. When slowing for an intersection or something that commands a reduction in speed I "always" drop one gear at a time and use compression braking. I try to keep engine speed up so I am in the torque curve in case I need vacate current space in a hurry. I don't want to be slowing in to a brake zone at an intersection and find someone else has futzed up and is heading straight for me. If I am going to be forced into my aux. safe zone or need to utilize my exit strategy I do not want to be chugging to safety in 3rd or 4th gear @ 10 mph. I want to exit at warp.

I have to admit that there have occasions where I am at a light and once traffic has settled and my security is relatively ok with other vehicles stopped and providing protection / buffer zone that I have found I was in second not first. Also panic stops Ex: pre animal strike OK, I've been know to clutch up and be all brakes and evasive action to a complete stop

One of my I fears is being taken out by a vehicle while at a stop.

Studley

Offline sidd

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 06:37:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by Studley [+]
One of my I fears is being taken out by a vehicle while at a stop.

Sneaky sods. They go for you when you least expect it.

https://vine.co/v/M7VW0IHPzX9

Offline sparky

• Explorer Member
  • Groovy Graphite
  • City / Town: Ipswich
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 06:39:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by BigLee [+]
I disagree with that, I can`t see any problem with block changing as long as the revs are matched to the gear and roadspeed before the clutch is let out.

:0461: Both Triumph and the IAM are correct. There is a difference between engine braking (natural, closed throttle deceleration, without changing gear) and gearbox braking (changing down through the gearbox in order to decelerate). The latter puts unnecessary mechanical strain on the gearbox.

'Gears to go, brakes to slow!'

Offline Travelman

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: KTM Superduke/ FJR
  • City / Town: South Shields
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
I've regularly used block changes on every bike I've ridden over the last 35 years without any issue. Also done clutchless changes for the same length of time, again without issues.

They are, however, mutually exclusive procedures.
I know we have no free will, but I enjoy the delusion

Offline MarksMotorCycleParts

• Forum Sponsor
  • Bike: 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Bath
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2014, 08:34:23 PM »
I quite often pull away in second then use only fourth and sixth, block changing all the time.  Bike doesn't seem to mind. I've long held the view that on a bike with this much torque the intermediate gears are just a nuisance that you have to suffer between moving off and being in top gear, so when I'm in the mood I have only 1 intermediate gear.

When pulling away uphill or briskly I do use first - mechanical sympathy for the clutch and all that....

Mark

Offline Prodded Dog

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Rotherham
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
I think there is a bit of confusion about block changing. The construction of sequential gear boxes means each gear must be selected in order. Unlike a car it is impossible to jump from fourth to second without selecting third (first). However block changes can be done on one clutch pull. All that is required is that the gear lever is allowed to return to its central position before making another change. It is entirely possible to go from 6th to 2nd with the clutch pulled in but you have to make four lever movements.
Police Bike riders are taught this because it is cheaper to change brake pads than clutches. Nobody is ever going to wear out a clutch in normal riding unless you slip it for wheelies constantly. I prefer engine braking and knowing which gear I am in from the feel of the engines response.
Clutchless upshifts are sweeter, speedier and more positive than using the clutch with no damage to gearbox. Just my opinion though!!!

The Prodded Dog

Offline nigelrtaylor

• Explorer Member
  • City / Town: Southam
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »
The police and the iam use the system of motorcycle control. In the middle of this system you select the speed appropriate for dealing with whatever the hazard is you need to deal with and then select the most appropriate gear to give you flexibility and tractability you may need.  Depending on the scale of the. speed change you make means you often need to block change.

Offline MIKE R

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Yam XT1200, BMW GS
  • City / Town: Burnley
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 02:30:31 AM »
I've used 'block changing' for years without any problems except I didn't know what it was called until now! :001:

Mike
It's not where you go that counts.............it's how you get there

Offline sidd

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:05:39 PM »
Well I'm pleased to hear that changing multiple gears at a time is considered fairly standard here. I was a bit bemused to be told by the Triumph guy that I didn't know how to change gear and was doing it all wrong... when the big picture issues were (a) My rear brake had failed completely, and (b) the handlebar that they screwed on a few months ago has just fallen apart. :084:

Recent Topics

nonskid