Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Block changing multiple gears  (Read 3331 times)

Offline the burpster

• Forum Moderator
  • Bike: Explorer - HD XR1200
  • City / Town: Lincolnish
Re: Block changing multiple gears
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 05:56:29 PM »
Block changing in advanced terms comes from the action used in a car gearbox to go from say 5th to 3rd in a H style gearbox hence moving the gear lever on three sides of a box or block.

Transferred to bikes it is used when reducing speed say form 70 to 20 to negotiate a junction. So reduce the speed (using brakes) pull in the clutch and change from say 6th to 2nd (all examples obviously). This obviously requires changing though all 4 gears sequentially as bike boxes are sequential.

This then means the term is used loosely for bikes but the nett result is still the same. Most bikes I have owned and ridden do not get enthusiastic about going from 5th or 6th to first at a standstill at say traffic lights. So even though not truly 'systematic' I do now and would encourage others to snick the gears just as you are coming to standstill but still rolling.

Changing from a high gear to a lower appropriate gear (but more than one below the current one) is good 'systematic' riding, however an element of vehicle sympathy has to be taken into consideration and if the gearbox won't allow or doesn't like it then let the clutch out for each gear.
That being said both my Trummies have no objection to downshifting more than one at a time as long as we are moving.

The system of car/bike control doesn't advocate block shifting up the box and I say at times, riders are too focused on getting into as higher gear as possible as quickly as possible. Always remember that a lower gear gives more flexibility, and on the tex 4th is a frikkin peach as you can get (all available horses and) from 40 to well over 120 in one gear.....!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:00:44 PM by the burpster »
"Every day you wake up is a good day!"

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
  I was out today in City traffic and decided to try changing down several gears on the one clutch pull, a couple of times. There was no particular issue in doing so albeit that the process was a little stiff. However the stiffness would be down to the low mileage on my current Tex at 10000KM.

On all of my bikes this is not an issue as long as one is moving at a sufficient rate of speed to have everything inside the gearbox spinning sufficiently for the dogs to engage easily. As was suggested above, waiting until the bike is almost at a standstill is a total no no. A sequential gearbox cannot function properly under such conditions. I had a nasty habit of sometimes slowing my previous Bike (GL1800) approaching Motorway tolls and forgetting to change down until the last moment. That bike disliked such behaviour and made no bones about it.

Offline zolti

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: explorer
  • City / Town: newcastle
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2014, 07:00:49 AM »
block change often, no issues.

also some lads I know that run the big tbirds regularly do clutchless gear changes, never did the clutchless on mine although that bike had no issues with block changing either.

Offline bonoeuf

• Explorer Member
  • Bye Bye 1200, Hello 800
  • Bike: Tiger 800 XRx
  • City / Town: hartlepool
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2014, 09:42:39 AM »
As long as the gear lever relaxes between each press, I cannot see a problem. The way the gears work allows this with out and problems. I wonder if the guy in the dealers thought the the user was trying to go from say fourth into second without the lever relaxing. I think it is impossible to do this, but he may not have. Like most folk on here I have been dropping multiple gears for multiple year on every bike I have owned.
Buy bikes with the heart or buy a car.

"My father taught me to work, but not to love it. I never did like to work, and I don't deny it. I'd rather read, tell stories, crack jokes, talk, laugh -- anything but work."
Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Letemfly

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Driffield
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2014, 12:01:33 PM »
I found you can change down more than one gear but you have to momentarily lift off the gear shift before going for the next gear. Clutchless gear changing I do all the time but only up the gears. It is so smooth and quick and I guess reduces the wear on the clutch. It's like having an automatic gearbox  :062:

Recent Topics

nonskid