Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alone at a controlled intersection. In gear or not?  (Read 8391 times)

Offline kjc200763

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Saltash
Re: Alone at a controlled intersection. In gear or not?
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 11:18:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by KevB [+]
Holy crap, no need for getting all upset and launching into personal attacks there brother.  Perhaps I should apologise for neglecting that fact that fuel there might be hugely expensive.  And a criminal descendant I am not, I was born in Ellesmere Port which is not too far from where you are.

Cheers

Lol I was hoping it was slightly tongue in cheek bud. Surely turning the engine off is just a manual version of what vehicle manufacturers are designing in, in the name of economy emissions controls etc?
Make it so number one.

Offline iExplorer

• Explorer God
  • Coat Hanger
  • City / Town: Cary, NC
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »
MSF courses in USA teach to keep bikes on gear at intersections. It's personal thing... I choose to keep thing in gear and be proactive and take my chances if I see danger. Remember dump truck in Arizona?

...in the other hand, I've had anti radar detector in car for years and still gotten speeding tickets when forgot to turn the damn thing on...

Offline KevB

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Scrambler
  • City / Town: Adelaide
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 12:30:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by kjc200763 [+]
Lol I was hoping it was slightly tongue in cheek bud. Surely turning the engine off is just a manual version of what vehicle manufacturers are designing in, in the name of economy emissions controls etc?

I have to admit that I've switched off the motor in traffic when safe to do so, but it was to see what difference it makes while commuting in hot weather.  On or off doesn't make much difference to my rate of cooking, so the engine stays running.  I drive a VW with the engine auto off/on but I'm not a fan of it so it's disabled whenever I drive.

I guess topics like this are similar to tyre and oil threads ...

Cheers
Triumph Scrambler
Suzuki DR650
http://www.triumph-riders-club.org.au

Offline Rapture

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 12:36:25 AM »
Alone I'll put it in neutral if I have to stop. If I can get away with it I'll just slow down and keep my feet up.

In traffic it depends on where I'm positioned in the queue and how long I've got till I'll be moving again.

Offline SeattleExplorer

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2013 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Seattle, WA
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 03:41:22 AM »
Always in gear ... checking behind me until 2-3 cars are safely stopped behind ... then waiting impatiently for light to change ...

.... except when I'm texting ... :)

Bob
Seattle, WA

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 09:17:53 AM »
Neutral under the condition mentioned by Kev (if I'm certain that no one will rear end me; and no I'm not paranoid; see picture).

When I'm alone at night in town, I always stay in first gear.
Do you know the term "bike jacking"?

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 12:42:39 PM »
*Originally Posted by KevB [+]
Holy crap, no need for getting all upset and launching into personal attacks there brother.  Perhaps I should apologise for neglecting that fact that fuel there might be hugely expensive.  And a criminal descendant I am not, I was born in Ellesmere Port which is not too far from where you are.

Cheers
Apology accepted and I offer mine in exchange. I just thought the WTF approach was aggressive, insulting and unnecessary.
Fuel is very expensive and I would rather use it to power me across some twisty roads than burn it sat at the lights on the way to work. I also believe that if we all switched off at those long spells awaiting multiple light changes, it would help the environment.
Cheers  :305:
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by nerolab [+]
I also believe that if we all switched off at those long spells awaiting multiple light changes, it would help the environment.
Perhaps (I don't have any figure/study supporting this hypothesis). And this is an important point (actually, one of my favorite games is "achieve the lowest fuel consumption"; just for the record, I'm always below 5.6 l/100 km ;-).

However, this procedure does not cover the two risks mentioned in my earlier post.

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 01:06:10 PM »
I should qualify this by saying known junctions when safe to do so
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline Dimebag

• Explorer Master
  • Cowboys From Hell
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XRx
  • City / Town: Near Box Hill
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
Define 'a while' ?

Less than 30 seconds, in gear and ready to go. More than 30 seconds and I'll drop it into neutral. This is mainly because I use the back brake to bring the bike to a final stop and put my left foot down first so to put it in neutral, I have to shuffle around swapping feet and I hate doing that  :006:

Recent Topics