Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Alone at a controlled intersection. In gear or not?  (Read 8392 times)

Offline littlelack

• Explorer Pro
  • What a Triumph
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Northants
Re: Alone at a controlled intersection. In gear or not?
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2014, 09:40:47 PM »

*Originally Posted by nerolab [+]
Cheers NS. Feeling like I've been on a fight... Hoping that will ease before my Scottish trip next week. Bizarrely the driver works for Carole Nash my insurers!

I live just round the corner from the guys and gals at MCE, you should see the way they fly out there car park, I'm sure some of them have done the same thing to others too!

Anyway more to the point hope your ok mate, and glad the damage is minimal!!
Support each other

Offline nerolab

• Explorer God
  • WWW.CCM-Motorcycles.com
  • Bike: Grey (The fast one!)
  • City / Town: BURY
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by littlelack [+]
I live just round the corner from the guys and gals at MCE, you should see the way they fly out there car park, I'm sure some of them have done the same thing to others too!

Anyway more to the point hope your ok mate, and glad the damage is minimal!!

All coming to a head... Carole Nash have been pretty professional and efficient. Having physio (jeez that hurts and makes some terrible crunching noises!!) and it is helping to relieve the aching back and the bike is booed in for re[pairs in a weeks time.
currently bikeless :(
Past machines: Mk1 Explorer 1200 - Tiger 800 road- Aprilia Strada 660- Kawasaki ZX6r- Honda CBR600F

Offline cruzintiger

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: '13 T12ABS '91 K100
  • City / Town: Vallejo
« Reply #52 on: November 26, 2014, 05:13:01 AM »
I'm new to this forum and can see this it's been months since anyone has responded to this...but this is a great topic of discussion in my opinion.

My tactic:

Neutral until green WITH close eye on mirrors and no cars approaching from behind.

Or

Neutral until I see a car approaching from behind.  Shift into First until the light turns green.

Or

Cautiously and safely split lanes (no panniers) to the intersection, put into Neutral, shift into first when opposite light turns yellow, and once green get a few cage-lengths in front of traffic seen in side view mirrors. 

Side Note: Please don't judge me...I'm born and raised Californian and have been commuting on a bike for years.  ;)

Either way folks....enjoy the rubber side down forever!

Offline DaddyFlip

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: '14TEXC
  • City / Town: SEARK
« Reply #53 on: November 26, 2014, 05:29:02 AM »
Always in gear. The clutch and wrist can "rest" (as if; how dumb) when I'm riding. Faster getaway from potential rear-enders.

Offline anaheimtex

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2014 Explorer xc
  • City / Town: anaheim
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2014, 07:07:28 AM »
In gear.  Unless I split to the front of a line.  I'm on a bike all night and have had on many occasions got out of they way.  The last one blew the red at the speed limit.  If I was in any other condition other than clutch in in gear I would probably not be annoying yu good people.  But, I ride mostly in a large city. 
don't come to a cat forum saying you should have bought a dog.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
Not that we have a lot of traffic lights here, but we do have numerous blue hairs here who have NO idea that anyone else is on the roads with them, so ALWAYS in gear and watching 360 degrees...
Jon

Recent Topics

nonskid