Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Final drive oil change  (Read 11364 times)

Offline Traveling1253

• Explorer Member
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 2013 TEX blue
  • City / Town: China,Maine
Final drive oil change
« on: April 26, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »
 Too much working means no time to bring bike to dealer for 500mile service. Will be doing the first engine oil and final drive oil change myself. Got the spec Castrol engine oil no problem. The magical Castrol SAF-XO lube for the final drive seems to be quite a rare commodity around here though. So I manage to get to the dealer yesterday afternoon just before the parts desk closes. OEM oil filter and sealing washer for the sump plug, yup got em. "How about a bottle of the elusive SAF-XO and sealing washers for the final drive drain and fill plugs" Parts guy had never heard of any special gear oil, said just use a synthetic gear oil of the correct weight. As far as the sealing washers for the final drive, said the service guys just re-use the ones that are there and have never asked for them so none in stock.
 Any other DIY guys out there changing the final drive oil want to chime in as far as what lube used and or re-using the sealing washers?
2013 Triumph Explorer (blue)
1989 Honda Hawk GT (red)
Fastest colors of both bikes

Offline Alameda XC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alameda, CA
Re: Final drive oil change
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »
Land Rovers and BMWs use the same oil (SAF-XO) in the differential. Also BMW shaft drive bikes use it in the final drive. I picked up a quart of the BMW labeled version on eBay from a BMW car dealer in Minnesota. You can usually find the BMW motorcycle version on there as well. However, any full synthetic GL5 oil of the correct weigh should work. Castrol has since replaced the SAF-XO with Castrol Syntrax Long Life 75W/90. I reused the washer.

Offline ongrade

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 04:39:33 AM »
If you want to use the Castrol Syntrax lube, O'Rielly auto parts has it. At least on the West Coast, should be able to order it if your local parts house doesn't stock it.

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 07:04:11 AM »
I started using Motul Gear 300 10k miles ago, works great and can be purchased through Amazon if you don't have time to run down to the local bike shop.

Offline Batzen

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Kulmbach
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »
Replaced the oil now after 2 years and about 20K kilometers, filled in Castrol MTX 75/140. Always used at the final drive of my former Beemers.
regards from Bavaria, Wolfgang

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 10:13:58 AM »
Use a synthetic gear oil as per spec required. Brand is irrelevant other than using a good one. I have used the same washers for years on sumps and gear housings. They are all reusable as long as you don't over tighten. I change the gear oil every second oil change. There is only a tiny amount required so it is not an issue cost wise. 

Offline kurt1305

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TEXless in Texas
  • City / Town: Austin, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 02:03:48 PM »
I used Mobil 1 75W-90 as I have in every final drive I have ever serviced.  Readily available, relatively inexpensive and a quart lasts forever.   
TEXless in Texas

Offline Kiwibiker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: BMW GSA, Yamaha Trac
  • City / Town: Auckland
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 01:43:33 AM »
I agree with others - use a known reputable brand with the correct specs (easy enough to check and there are plenty around). Unlike what Triumph suggest I have now gotten into the habit of changing the final drive oil every time I put a new rear tyre on - simple, cost effective and will guarantee long life.

Offline Finkelstein

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Leeds
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
Will changing the oil regularly do anything to extend the life of the final drive
Triumph don't say it's necessary  and after the first 500 miles there should be no contaminants

Offline TPadden

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200XC
  • City / Town: Brooksville Fl
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 01:05:22 PM »
*Originally Posted by Finkelstein [+]
Will changing the oil regularly do anything to extend the life of the final drive
Triumph don't say it's necessary  and after the first 500 miles there should be no contaminants

We're close to talking Religion here but the short answer is, unlike the previous posts indication that it will guarantee long life, you might as well sacrifice a chicken.   :008:

The same people that think it does something NEVER change their 4 wheel differential oil.  Rear drives are all about design, manufacture, and alignment.  If a drive has any one of those three problems, all the oil changes in the world (even weekly) will do nothing.

If it makes you feel better, change it often  :001:.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 01:15:48 PM by TPadden »

Recent Topics