Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 116292 times)

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: BROMSGROVE
Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« on: May 07, 2014, 11:15:18 AM »
Hi all. Just putting this out there to see if anyone else is having / had the same issue..

Sometimes, when changing down from 3rd to second, instead of selecting second it goes into neutral. This is a bit disconcerting when you try to accelerate away and there is no drive.. :005:

This happens maybe 3 or 4 times per ride, but I think its happening more often as the mileage increases, its really starting to irritate me now.

Anyone else seen this? Any ideas?

BTW its nothing to do with my riding style, I've done 10,000 miles a year on various bikes for the last 12 years and never had a problem like this before.

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »
Might be an issue with the detent arm, at least I'm pretty sure that's the part that failed on me. I had a problem with shifting from 2nd to 3rd with it not always 'catching', like I'd move the lever but the gear wouldn't change. This got worse and worse over a two week period until I took it in. Still waiting on the part though....

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 05:24:38 PM »
*Originally Posted by scottdc [+]
Might be an issue with the detent arm, at least I'm pretty sure that's the part that failed on me. I had a problem with shifting from 2nd to 3rd with it not always 'catching', like I'd move the lever but the gear wouldn't change. This got worse and worse over a two week period until I took it in. Still waiting on the part though....

Got the part yet Scott? Mine is now in at the Dealer (Performance Triumph, Stratford). The problem has got worse, it now does it 50% of the time, not good when trying to brake into a hairpin bend.

Dealer has had it for 5 days but not even looked at it yet  :155: Apparently the sun is shining so they are busy, obviously not with my bike though...

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Yeovil
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 06:05:21 PM »
My gear change problems also happen around 3rd gear. Sometimes going from 4 to 3 but definitely 2 to 3. Mines booked in on 5 July for investigation.
Didn't anyone tell you? It's my county!

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:38:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by TonyZZR [+]
Got the part yet Scott? Mine is now in at the Dealer (Performance Triumph, Stratford). The problem has got worse, it now does it 50% of the time, not good when trying to brake into a hairpin bend.

Dealer has had it for 5 days but not even looked at it yet  :155: Apparently the sun is shining so they are busy, obviously not with my bike though...

Yup, got my bike back not long after that post. Only have put another 1k on it but the transmission is fantastic now. I think it was always a bit off as it's not hardly clunky at all after the fix, very smooth shifting.

I was a bit frustrated with the delay on the backordered part but with how well it's working now I'm over it. At least in your case if it's the same part it's no longer backordered so it should come quick once the dealer get's on it.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 02:52:08 PM by scottdc »

Offline Rapture

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:52:15 AM »
I have this too, seems to happen a lot more when I blip on the downshift. It's annoying, I have no idea if it's my technique (or lack thereof) or just the gearbox wants some miles. Least I've stopped finding neutral when shifting from first to second now!

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by Rapture [+]
I have this too, seems to happen a lot more when I blip on the downshift. It's annoying, I have no idea if it's my technique (or lack thereof) or just the gearbox wants some miles. Least I've stopped finding neutral when shifting from first to second now!

Rapture - My Dealer made the comment that they have seen a similar problem on other triumph gearboxes so its worth you getting it looked at. I'll let you know the outcome of my issue as soon as the dealer has sorted it (don't hold your breath....).

Offline Rapture

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04:53 PM »
Got Tuesday and Wednesday off this week, might give it a wash and mosey on down see what they say.

Offline Tigger

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer
  • City / Town: Traverse City
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 03:37:51 PM »
Not wanting to start a new topic but still a gear box issue, and it sounds like a few of you have had issues. 2013 Explorer with 2K. Got is about a month and a half ago new in a box. All good except for 5th whines a lot. All the others are fine but when you are in fifth you know it and just want to go up or down a gear. Is this a shim fit box or is a tolerance just off. When they get the recall head and cam chain tensioner in later this summer, I want them to address this as well and I just don't want to hear "they all do that" unless it is really true.
Any help?

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2014, 05:59:31 PM »
Well, Triumph Stratford have had the bike for 9 days now and all they have done so far is take it for a test ride and claim that there is nothing wrong with it.  :157: I've never mad a warrantee claim before so I really don't know what to expect but this seems like piss poor service to me. Am I being unfair?

Recent Topics