Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 122905 times)

Offline Rapture

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2014, 07:33:16 PM »
I got told I need to get used to the nuances of a shaft drive which seems like nonsense but I'll see how things go. In all honesty the gearbox has gotten better the more miles I've put on it. Maybe all I need is a few more miles to sort it out.

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Yeovil
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 09:54:21 PM »
Mines got worse with miles. It's strange all the other changes are smooth!
Didn't anyone tell you? It's my county!

Offline davidcumbria

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 09:59:41 AM »
Hi a newcomer over from the triumph trophy forum. Have spent some time trawling both forums to see if there is anything repetitive about the ( common )  gearbox. I have a may 2014 trophy and have put on 2000 miles, including a couple of scotland tours. Gear changes up or down are never missed but there is a huge difference between the very loud double clunk from the gear box ( before clutch let out ) when changing up from 2nd to 3rd as opposed to the buttery snick from 4th to 5th. Worse when engine hot and changes are at town traffic speeds. There seem to be a quite few people more recently concerned about this whereas very many owners are totally satisfied. If you have ridden a BMW 1300 or  Harley  this is the kind of level of noise and I don't think anyone would find this less than mildly concerning. The dealer says they are all like this but seeing as how many people praise the gearbox I don't see that this is the case and i think there may well be significant manufacturing or build tolerances that are making the differences between the boxes. I have noticed no change at all in the noise in the last 2000 miles so I am dubious that it will just go away with  more mileage. The double clonk is so loud that it kind of offends my mechanical sympathy and makes me think something is going to get damaged over time. At least one person has had a new gear box under warranty and I wonder if this is the only way to spin the dice again in the gearbox build quality lottery. Such a shame that this feature is the only problem for me in an otherwise amazing bike...

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 05:20:44 PM »
Hi David, welcome in, your post is very interesting. I, for one will not be taking excuses. Like you, I find the gear changes in heat and traffic offensive to the ear

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: BROMSGROVE
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 06:03:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by davidcumbria [+]
Hi a newcomer over from the triumph trophy forum. Have spent some time trawling both forums to see if there is anything repetitive about the ( common )  gearbox. I have a may 2014 trophy and have put on 2000 miles, including a couple of scotland tours. Gear changes up or down are never missed but there is a huge difference between the very loud double clunk from the gear box ( before clutch let out ) when changing up from 2nd to 3rd as opposed to the buttery snick from 4th to 5th. Worse when engine hot and changes are at town traffic speeds. There seem to be a quite few people more recently concerned about this whereas very many owners are totally satisfied. If you have ridden a BMW 1300 or  Harley  this is the kind of level of noise and I don't think anyone would find this less than mildly concerning. The dealer says they are all like this but seeing as how many people praise the gearbox I don't see that this is the case and i think there may well be significant manufacturing or build tolerances that are making the differences between the boxes. I have noticed no change at all in the noise in the last 2000 miles so I am dubious that it will just go away with  more mileage. The double clonk is so loud that it kind of offends my mechanical sympathy and makes me think something is going to get damaged over time. At least one person has had a new gear box under warranty and I wonder if this is the only way to spin the dice again in the gearbox build quality lottery. Such a shame that this feature is the only problem for me in an otherwise amazing bike...

Interesting view Dave. I don't have any problems with any other aspect of the gearbox other than the irritating business with it skipping 2nd gear when changing down. Performance Triumph have still not been able to reproduce the problem and are going to try to get a Triumph factory test rider on it next week. I must admit, I would be surprised if it were a problem with the 'box itself, it feels more like a weak detent / spring. Anyhow, lets see what transpires next week. The biggest problem for me now is not having my Explorer in my garage in this great weather.  :232:

Offline davidcumbria

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Trophy
  • City / Town: South Lakes
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2014, 07:09:19 PM »
There are fairly clearly two issues in this thread - those finding false neutral or missing changes and those with clunky but effective changes. I don't recall missing a change in my 2500 miles over the past 3 weeks of ownership but have been unhappy with the clonks particularly 2nd to 3rd. I went out for a 100 miles this afternoon with the main objective of listening to the changes both with and without earplugs.

First thing I tried was clutchless change ups and there was an immediate pronounced improvement. I don't do this usually so my own proficiency is variable but when you get it right it is  just a silent smooth snick with the gear change indicator the best way of knowing you've done it. Sometimes it's a horrible mess of stuck lever and slowing down with throttle closed wishing I had used the clutch. But the silent up change that is possible was a revelation and shows what the box is capable of.

Second thing  tried was using the clutch but applying quite significant upward foot pressure on the lever before pulling it in and again there was some improvement. I suppose this was really just the same effect as clutchless above with the gears shifting before the clutch had fully disengaged. 

Both techniques were smoother and quieter than my usual technique of clutch fully in and then flick up the lever ( which doesn't require any effort but does result in a subsequent clonk clonk before letting out the clutch.

So overall feeling much better that acceptably quiet changing is  routinely possible on my bike and with earplugs in and upward pressure on the lever. Downchanges with a throttle blip are not a problem. There has been some discussion about how much the clutch is separating plates and whether re shimming might help but certainly the noise seems to be related to timing and degree of clutch action as opposed to some unwillingness of the gears themselves to mesh quietly.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 07:11:45 PM by davidcumbria »

Offline stu

• Explorer Member
  • That's what I call a Triumph triple
  • Bike: Tex, Speedy, T140D
  • City / Town: Alfreton
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 08:19:26 PM »
Hi David

2500 miles in 3 weeks? respect  :020:

I have a new explorer which has a similar clunky gear change, it seems ok when cold but worsens when warmed up, I am hoping it may just be newness wearing off but will keep an ear on it.

You seem to have done a pretty thorough road test of the issue, I'll try similar and check the effect.

Please let us know if there is any change with increasing miles.

Offline skullfish

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer xc
  • City / Town: NE Pennsylvania
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2014, 03:29:13 AM »
I'm curious to see where this topic goes, without panic yet, I have experienced some
Issues in down shifting, where I got caught at the red light turning green, my gear
Was in neutral ....???? What the heck?  It happened twice today....

Yes it's warmer out but?? I'm also thinking.... Maybe the clutch cable is finally
Stretching a bit, so could the clutch and gearing need adjusting?

Nobody knows the loud clunk during shift changes better than the harley guys,
Anyway I'm at 3500 miles since March, and this would be my first claim about
The gear shifting on the rough side..... For now, I'm hoping it's my impatient shifting...
When in doubt, go the long way!

Offline Big Den

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer spoked
  • City / Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2014, 05:34:38 AM »
No cable stretch on these dude , hydraulic actuation and should be self adjusting

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2014, 01:40:47 PM »
I must admit my bike does give the impression it has a cable at times, especially when very hot and in traffic.

Off to the dealer this afternoon. Typically, it's the coolest day of the week and looks like it's going to rain.

Recent Topics