Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 122907 times)

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: BROMSGROVE
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2014, 11:17:54 PM »
Triumph have now agreed for the Dealer to replace the spring, detent wheel and detent plate to try to cure my problem. Parts are out of stock, expected 23rd July so I've got the bike back for now.

They loaned me an 800XC while mine was waiting for Triumph. Now that's a nice bike, very light and lovely smooth engine, however I rode the Tex back from the dealer this afternoon and, even with the dodgy gearbox I have to say its great. That engine is something else and its supremely comfy after the 800.

Lets hope the detent stuff fixes it otherwise its a gearbox strip required. Will update when its been done.

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Yeovil
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 10:33:07 AM »
Who's your dealer Tony? Seems you did better than me at Total Triumph. They rode the bike, checked all oil levels and bled the clutch but could not find the same problems I have found; what is more I had to pay for the time (50/50 so half price thanks to Craig).

Alas it just so happened the day I take it in is the coolest day for weeks and the bike doesn't really get hot enough for a decent test.
Didn't anyone tell you? It's my county!

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »
*Originally Posted by Somerset [+]
Who's your dealer Tony? Seems you did better than me at Total Triumph. They rode the bike, checked all oil levels and bled the clutch but could not find the same problems I have found; what is more I had to pay for the time (50/50 so half price thanks to Craig).

Alas it just so happened the day I take it in is the coolest day for weeks and the bike doesn't really get hot enough for a decent test.

Its Performance Triumph, Stratford. They are unable to reproduce the problem I have with it missing 2nd gear (even though it happened to me at the end of their road and 6 more times on the way home).

The dealer said they would strip the 'box and have a look but if they found nothing wrong I would get the bill. I am not happy about this as the likelihood is that there would be nothing visibly wrong, they would need to check all sorts of measurements/ tolerances, hardness indexes etc. and I am sure Stratford don't have the time or tools to do this.

I called Triumph directly in the end and they have agreed to change the bits that are now on order under the warrantee.

If this does not fix it then I'll chop it in for a new one, if the Dealer offers me a knocked down price because there is 'something wrong with the gearbox' then its time to employ a lawyer...

I imagine that your problem will be even more difficult to reproduce as it sounds like it may be more subjective. Good luck with that.

Tony.

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 08:58:22 PM »
Thanks Tony good luck to you too

Offline big coop

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: belfast
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 04:03:30 PM »
Same problem has occurred on my three month old xc explorer booked it in to dealer 22nd July .think it has also happened to some 800 explorer s.

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 10:44:18 AM »
*Originally Posted by big coop [+]
Same problem has occurred on my three month old xc explorer booked it in to dealer 22nd July .think it has also happened to some 800 explorer s.

I'll keep you up to date. Did the dealer reproduce the problem?

Offline big coop

• Explorer Member
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2014, 12:07:38 AM »
Hi they need to take the bike out for a run to test it so will wait and see what they say . The problem is it is intermittent will keep you posted.

Offline TonyZZR

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 02:53:42 PM »
Called the dealer today (they never call me) to see if they have a definite delivery time for the parts. Happy days, they are due in on Monday.

Me: "So, I'll bring the bike down Monday morning then"
Dealer: "We cant fit you in until the 30th July"
Me: So shocked I was fucking speechless.

So far its taken since the 10th of June to get this far.

Rant over. Moral of the story - steer well clear of Triumph Stratford.

Offline Somerset

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 09:14:37 PM »
Sorry you're having grief getting booked in Tony. My problem seems to have got very much better since I tightened the link rod!

Offline big coop

• Explorer Member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 05:19:07 PM »
Hi all just to report back took my xc to dealers on 22 July explained what was happening he took her in right away and lent me a new Thruxton for the day rang him before he closed same day told me I needed detent arm and spring replaced in gear box and it would be couple of days cause he had to order parts so he told me to hang on to the thruxton He rang yesterday told me to pick up bike to day and just drove the twenty miles home there bike really smooth gear change smooth and working as it should do so seems like problem is sorted hope this information helps .

Recent Topics