Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 111324 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Online oxidefilm

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #730 on: October 29, 2018, 02:04:18 AM »
It's a pretty straight forward repair. You have to pull the left side footpeg assembly and then the shifter and linkage. With that off you can pull the cover. The rod and other pieces simply wiggle out. Just be careful about the order everything is installed. There are a lot of little pieces.

Offline matjam

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Concord, CA
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #731 on: October 29, 2018, 02:05:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by oxidefilm [+]
It's a pretty straight forward repair. You have to pull the left side footpeg assembly and then the shifter and linkage. With that off you can pull the cover. The rod and other pieces simply wiggle out. Just be careful about the order everything is installed. There are a lot of little pieces.

Thanks.  I assume you need to dump the oil or will it settle before the areas being accessed?

Online oxidefilm

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #732 on: October 29, 2018, 02:32:37 AM »
it's above the sump. you don't need to drain it.

Offline matjam

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Concord, CA
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #733 on: February 18, 2019, 04:33:52 PM »
So, I have yet to inspect the gear shift assembly; I started doing my shifts very carefully and the problem for me is not getting any worse.

It's now at 20,000 miles getting a service at the dealer, and they loaned me a 2018 XRt ... It's so comfy.

I think a lot of the problem I had was just that I'm a fat bugger and was putting too much weight on the lever.

I have the dealer inspecting it and they will replace if any component looks damaged.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 04:46:40 PM by matjam »

Offline alzar

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 4
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Derry
  • Country: Ireland
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #734 on: March 18, 2019, 07:12:53 PM »
Only had my TEX since xmas week 2018, its a late 2015 model with 4k. started going from 3rd to neutral about 2 weeks ago so I found this thread and ordered all the parts listed here.

I have replaced the selector shaft and all parts on it.

I also ordered a new detent wheel but as yet have not replaced it as I'm not sure if you can without removing gearbox? Can someone help with this please?.

Bike feels so much better already but I would like to replace detent wheel just to be sure

Online oxidefilm

  • Explorer Pro
  • ***
  • Posts: 219
  • Bike: '13 Tex
  • City / Town: NYC
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #735 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:56 PM »
If it's working as it should now, I wouldn't bother with the detent wheel.

Offline plaaty

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
  • Country: uk
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #736 on: March 19, 2019, 08:30:09 PM »
Hi,

I think I may have this problem on my TEx, Ive noticed a couple of times I'm in neutral but thought I had mis shifted..... been used to an Africa twin DCT for 18 months!
the bike has just over 5000 miles on it.
When the gearbox has this fault does it drop into neutral regularly? is it always from 3rd?
Ive only had the bike 12 days and it only has 3 months warranty so I'm on the look out for any potential problems.
It also has a slight whine in 2nd at 3000 rpm.... and makes other noises from the driveshaft I think a slow speed/low revs

have I bought a lemon  :021:

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4014
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #737 on: March 20, 2019, 12:09:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by plaaty [+]
Hi,

I think I may have this problem on my TEx, Ive noticed a couple of times I'm in neutral but thought I had mis shifted..... been used to an Africa twin DCT for 18 months!
the bike has just over 5000 miles on it.
When the gearbox has this fault does it drop into neutral regularly? is it always from 3rd?
Ive only had the bike 12 days and it only has 3 months warranty so I'm on the look out for any potential problems.
It also has a slight whine in 2nd at 3000 rpm.... and makes other noises from the driveshaft I think a slow speed/low revs

have I bought a lemon  :021:
It seems unlikely that you have the 3rd to neutral problem at 5000 miles. Having said that, it is worth watching closely for the remainder of your warranty. If it follows the pattern, it will get worse over time and left unfixed, it can cause collateral damage to the gearset. In the initial stages, it is a relatively easy fix that can be done without major labor. The shifter mechanism is easy to access from behind the coolant overflow bottle.

Mine whines in 4th gear. They have a bit of drive lash at slow speeds/low revs. Nothing unusual about that. Get out and ride the bike and enjoy the changing seasons.  :001:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline matjam

  • Explorer Junior
  • *
  • Posts: 14
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Concord, CA
  • Country: USA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #738 on: March 20, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
So, ended up taking it to the dealer, as the 20k service was up, and I gave them the shift assembly to replace, which they did. There was no noticeable damage to my old one.

Got the bike back and then noticed a weird sound in 6th gear, so took it back, they pulled out the gearbox and found that 6th gear has lost a tooth. Apparently when Triumph paid for the repair under warranty the first time, they opted to not replace that gear, so of course, it was probably damaged and finally broke now.

I'm so annoyed. I might just go get a Speed Triple RS. At least I know the gearboxes on those are bulletproof. I feel like the Tiger's gearbox has serious issues and they just need to go back and redesign it and replace the gearbox on anything that fails with new parts.

(for context, the gearbox self destructed while doing 65MPH on highway 1 at 12,000 miles, locking up the rear. Triumph covered the repair under warranty. I did not die.)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:38:02 PM by matjam »

Offline CaptainTrips

  • Explorer God
  • *****
  • Posts: 4014
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
  • Country: CA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #739 on: March 21, 2019, 02:33:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by matjam [+]
So, ended up taking it to the dealer, as the 20k service was up, and I gave them the shift assembly to replace, which they did. There was no noticeable damage to my old one.

Got the bike back and then noticed a weird sound in 6th gear, so took it back, they pulled out the gearbox and found that 6th gear has lost a tooth. Apparently when Triumph paid for the repair under warranty the first time, they opted to not replace that gear, so of course, it was probably damaged and finally broke now.

I'm so annoyed. I might just go get a Speed Triple RS. At least I know the gearboxes on those are bulletproof. I feel like the Tiger's gearbox has serious issues and they just need to go back and redesign it and replace the gearbox on anything that fails with new parts.

(for context, the gearbox self destructed while doing 65MPH on highway 1 at 12,000 miles, locking up the rear. Triumph covered the repair under warranty. I did not die.)
Was the bike making the weird sound before they changed the shift assembly? If not, then I would suggest that this is on the dealer. Maybe they mucked it up and it happened when the test-drove it?
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

 


Recent Topics