Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 126322 times)

Offline matjam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Concord, CA
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #740 on: March 22, 2019, 01:54:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
Was the bike making the weird sound before they changed the shift assembly? If not, then I would suggest that this is on the dealer. Maybe they mucked it up and it happened when the test-drove it?
I think so, but it wasn't really noticeable until I took out my earplugs ... and turned off my audio ... then I could hear it. Good reason to turn all that off once in a while.

I doubt the dealer did anything wrong, the guys her have been super good to me, and I feel they're competent.

So, good news - Triumph are going to replace the whole gearbox, all the parts, the whole thing. It will be a complete rebuild. Bike is not under warranty, but they've decided to still fix it. So, good for them.

I'll be selling my Tiger as soon as I can :-(

The bright side is that I rode a Speed Triple S for a week and felt I could commute quite happily on that, and it's capable of the more spirited riding I like to do so I'll be probably getting onto an RS once the Tiger is out the door.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #741 on: March 22, 2019, 04:43:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by matjam [+]
I'll be selling my Tiger as soon as I can :-(
It is good that you are seeing through getting it fixed before you trade it. Too often, a bike with symptoms passes through a dealership and the next owner is stuck with the consequences.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline matjam

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Concord, CA
« Reply #742 on: March 25, 2019, 10:48:32 PM »
It is good that you are seeing through getting it fixed before you trade it. Too often, a bike with symptoms passes through a dealership and the next owner is stuck with the consequences.

Yeah, that would be unthinkable to me. I couldn't do that to someone.

I would have paid out of my own pocket if I needed to, to replace the gearbox, but thankfully Triumph are doing the right thing by me.

As it is, whoever gets it will be getting a machine with a gearbox with next to no miles on it, and as long as they treat it well, I think it will be fine.

I wonder if I just ride in a way that's not compatible with the gearbox, or whether there is actually an actual flaw with the design - either way, I have no interest in finding out how many gearboxes I can go through on this bike.

Nah, will just get a Speedie for my commuter.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #743 on: March 26, 2019, 12:05:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by matjam [+]
I wonder if I just ride in a way that's not compatible with the gearbox, or whether there is actually an actual flaw with the design - either way, I have no interest in finding out how many gearboxes I can go through on this bike.
Well, to date, I think that there have been three different part numbers for the shifter shaft assembly that seems to be the cause of the problems. That tells me they are still working on it...  :164:
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline alzar

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Derry
« Reply #744 on: March 26, 2019, 10:08:41 PM »
Well, to date, I think that there have been three different part numbers for the shifter shaft assembly that seems to be the cause of the problems. That tells me they are still working on it...  :164:
Do you by any chance know the 3 part numbers?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #745 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by alzar [+]
Do you by any chance know the 3 part numbers?
If I am remembering correctly, I think that they are all mentioned in this one post (but maybe not all together).

Offline plaaty

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #746 on: April 01, 2019, 09:03:53 PM »
I took my bike back to the dealer on Saturday, intermittently goes into neutral instead of 2nd always at the worst times... roundabout, crossing oncoming traffic, sharp uphill corner etc.
spoke to the dealer today and they say the tech has been out for 20 miles but had no fault, which I'm not surprised at, told them when I dropped it off that it was very intermittent.
I've only had the bike 3 weeks and suspect I've inherited someone else's problem, I'm just hoping the dealer will do the right thing and sort it out.
I did manage to get a video of the dash showing " 3 " on the gear indicator and the neutral light on, but nobody wanted to see it, I thought it might stop them calling it a false neutral and telling me the gears need to be selected quite positively on this bike.
well we'll see what happens next

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #747 on: April 01, 2019, 09:10:26 PM »
*Originally Posted by plaaty [+]
I took my bike back to the dealer on Saturday, intermittently goes into neutral instead of 2nd always at the worst times... roundabout, crossing oncoming traffic, sharp uphill corner etc.
spoke to the dealer today and they say the tech has been out for 20 miles but had no fault, which I'm not surprised at, told them when I dropped it off that it was very intermittent.
I've only had the bike 3 weeks and suspect I've inherited someone else's problem, I'm just hoping the dealer will do the right thing and sort it out.
I did manage to get a video of the dash showing " 3 " on the gear indicator and the neutral light on, but nobody wanted to see it, I thought it might stop them calling it a false neutral and telling me the gears need to be selected quite positively on this bike.
well we'll see what happens next
Probably what you need to do is to get the dealer to contact Triumph corporate and verify that the issue is real and that Triumph corporate have stepped up in some cases to assist with costs on out-of-warranty bikes.

Your other option now is to return the bike as not fit for purpose.

Offline plaaty

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
« Reply #748 on: April 01, 2019, 09:19:04 PM »
Thanks for the advice

they did mention contacting Triumph, but will get the service manager to run it from work to home to see if it will happen.
I have thought about returning it, but really like the bike.
I guess it will never be straightforward dealing with a 3 month used bike warranty, that'll be losing lots of profit!

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #749 on: April 01, 2019, 11:13:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by plaaty [+]
I guess it will never be straightforward dealing with a 3 month used bike warranty, that'll be losing lots of profit!
The issue is that someone may have traded your bike in for this exact reason, and the dealership may be aware of that.

Recent Topics