Author Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 188013 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
Reply #840 on: November 13, 2020, 08:15:31 AM
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I have to admit that, despite being happy with my '13 TEX, Triumph's mishandling of this gearbox issue (and the head replacement issue) would really discourage me from buying another Triumph product.
  :0461: I was on the lookout for a used simple roadster as an occasional sunny day bike and was looking for something in the 500-600cc bracket. It soon became obvious that all of these bikes were physically too small for me. (OK, I might of eaten too many pies!) So I ended back up in the 1000cc category. Boiled it down to a Triumph T120 or a Honda CB11100EX. The T120 forums seem to be very exercised about gearbox issues too and lack of action by Triumph. After the woeful experience of my Tiger 1200 being off the road 63 days in its first 18 months and lack of empathy from Triumph I couldn't bring myself to go down the Triumph route again. It is a shame because I like the brand and own two. I ended up with the Honda and take delivery next week. So much for that plan to buy a light runabout, this Honda weighs a ton! But not as much as the T12 and a much lower bike. The T120 does seem to hold its value mind, average prices were a good bit higher than the Honda I which is strange as this Honda didn't/doesn't sell that well at all and there are not many about Vs the T120. I did like the idea of an air-cooled engine which this Honda has, it is simple, ABS and that's it, no other features apart from wheels, frame and engine.

Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 08:20:18 AM by XCaTel

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
Reply #841 on: November 13, 2020, 01:42:32 PM
Can’t argue with that. Hope you’re happy with your new bike.
I’ve had 4 Hondas over the years, and they were all good bikes.

Still love my Tiger more tho’ 

Phil  :152:

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #842 on: November 13, 2020, 04:35:23 PM
Ah yes, in terms of capability and all round usability this Honda hasn't got a hope against the Tiger, which will still be the bike I ride 80% of the time.

Offline jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #843 on: November 13, 2020, 07:14:46 PM
That's a very honest to goodness looking motorcycle, just my cup of tea... nice one mate! :467:

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #844 on: November 13, 2020, 07:51:42 PM
*Originally Posted by jannerman [+]
That's a very honest to goodness looking motorcycle, just my cup of tea... nice one mate! :467:
:0461:  I've kind of fallen for the new Royal Enfield Interceptor, myself.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline nenebrown

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XCX
  • City / Town: Campinas
Reply #845 on: November 14, 2020, 01:28:35 AM
Well, folks. News about my 3rd to neutral issue!

I contacted the factory via email and they asked me to take the bike to the store. They walked quickly on the bike, didn't open the gearbox and said there was nothing wrong, even though I filmed the problem occurring. I filed a complaint with our national consumer protection system here in Brazil (Procon), with photos and reports taken from this forum and the complaint was accepted.
They gave them 5 days to solve the problem. The store called me again, and agreed to open the gearshift to check if something was wrong. I followed the process and effectively there was nothing wrong, all parts were in perfect condition and without apparent damage. The pedal was re-positioned, which was lower than the standard (although I never changed it) and the mechanic put a little pressure on the selector fork spring that is next to the gearshift shaft. I've used the bike about 300km since then and for now the gearbox is super smooth and without any problem. Unfortunately for financial reasons I will have to sell the bike, but at least I have the support from the store to show that the problem has been solved. I hope it doesn't happen again!

Thank you all!

Offline Mark Carter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Southampton
Reply #846 on: November 14, 2020, 02:03:00 PM
When I first took mine into the dealer they adjusted the gear lever and linkage.  That didn't cure the problem so they contacted the mother ship and were told it was a known problem with a small (?!?!) number of Explorers and they sent out a pre-prepared service/repair kit.  This was fitted (two or three years ago I think) and the gearbox has not missed a beat since.

Offline ExplorerInCa

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Huntington Beach
Reply #847 on: December 03, 2020, 12:29:49 AM
Following up with a picture of the pivot gearchange shaft assembly.  The one on the left has approx 19k miles on it.  New one on the right.  If you look closely, you can see how much the tips are worn down.  Also, the pivot plate coil spring was shot - the gearchange cover was the only thing holding it all together.  You can see a bit of that in the second picture.

All working much better now.  Excellent feel from the gearbox and no 3rd to neutrals after 200 miles.  Couldn't make it 2 miles before!

Offline Bluto2013

• Explorer Member
  • Living the Dream, baby!
  • Bike: TigerEx1200 2013
  • City / Town: Kinshasa
Reply #848 on: January 15, 2021, 07:47:43 PM
New to me, 2013 is my ride.  Only read about 10% of this thread. 
Thank you for posting that parts list for an upgrade/repair for gearbox.
Mine is noisy, clunky, at 41k kilometers.  Will get this kit and install soon.
Bluto2013

Offline Diogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 2015
  • City / Town: Florianópolis
Reply #849 on: January 20, 2021, 12:13:10 AM
Just bought a 2015 Tiger Explorer and it has this exact problem. Very clunky, noisy, and has a 40% chance of going from third to neutral. The bike has only 15k kilometers!!

The dealer in my town (Florianopolis, Brazil) is acting like this never happened before. They contacted the factory and they played the same act, really cute...

The quote just to "investigate the problem" is prohibitive. I will try the parts list from CaptainTrips to see if it is less painful.

This is my second Triumph, but this issue is really concerning. It saddens me to see Triumph doing all this acting to avoid a proper recall...

nonskid