Author Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 240402 times)

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 12GT Explorer
    • City / Town: MEDVODE
    Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
    Reply #900 on: November 22, 2021, 03:01:05 pm
    November 22, 2021, 03:01:05 pm
    Here is how triumph silently admited the part is bad.

The new version of sixth gear has now 6 teeth in contact with second instead of 3!

• Offline NT Bikes   gb

• Explorer Junior  ‐    4

Offline NT Bikes

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: 1200 Tiger XRT
    • City / Town: BANGOR
    Reply #901 on: November 22, 2021, 04:36:36 pm
    November 22, 2021, 04:36:36 pm
    I have a 2019 Tiger 1200 XRT.  The problem you describe sounds similar to mine.   While it does not occure all the tim it is very annoying and I would class it as bordering dangerous.  When braking and changing down, the Tiger has gone into 2nd gear and then, almost immediately changes into neutral.  As it is an intermittent problem it is difficult to say exactly what the sequence of events would be but it does occur more often than not if braking fairly hard.  Usually, just as the brakes are applied a bit harder.  The dealer mechanic has taken the bike for a test ride and worked it around the 2nd gear but found no fault.  The problem has been logged and if I can identify when it occurs a little more precisely the dealer is more than happy to address it.

• Online CaptainTrips   ca

• Explorer God  ‐    5939

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    • Bike: '13 Explorer
    • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
    Reply #902 on: November 22, 2021, 05:09:54 pm
    November 22, 2021, 05:09:54 pm
    How many miles on your bike?
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    Reply #903 on: November 22, 2021, 06:52:36 pm
    November 22, 2021, 06:52:36 pm
    *Originally Posted by NT Bikes [+]
    I have a 2019 Tiger 1200 XRT.  The problem you describe sounds similar to mine.   While it does not occure all the tim it is very annoying and I would class it as bordering dangerous.  When braking and changing down, the Tiger has gone into 2nd gear and then, almost immediately changes into neutral.  As it is an intermittent problem it is difficult to say exactly what the sequence of events would be but it does occur more often than not if braking fairly hard.  Usually, just as the brakes are applied a bit harder.  The dealer mechanic has taken the bike for a test ride and worked it around the 2nd gear but found no fault.  The problem has been logged and if I can identify when it occurs a little more precisely the dealer is more than happy to address it.

Yes thats it exactly the simptoms - it will NEVER happen under clutch shifting, but will randomly happen on quickshifting. Maybe dealer used clutch. The teeth beetwn second and sixth are worn out. Ask for replacement ob BOTH gears as damage is seen on both ends.
    This gearbox works in a way that the sixth gear moves down (when you shift from 3rd to 2nd) and catches with teeth second gear, puting it function, but then those teeth can jump out when using QS - why? Because when you use clutch the gears sync during shift and catch properly, when u use QS the gear has to 'catch' the rotation of drive, so its easier for it to not grab properly and pop out when teeth (dogs) are worn out.

I solved this temporarely by granding the old gear worn out teeth, it immideately worked, but then I received the new revision part (6th gear) which has been completely redesigned as you see. enforced, more teeth....clearly an engineering problem on first revision part.
    Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 06:58:52 pm by jures

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #904 on: November 22, 2021, 10:43:49 pm
    November 22, 2021, 10:43:49 pm
    *Originally Posted by jures [+]
    Yes thats it exactly the simptoms - it will NEVER happen under clutch shifting, but will randomly happen on quickshifting. Maybe dealer used clutch. The teeth beetwn second and sixth are worn out. Ask for replacement ob BOTH gears as damage is seen on both ends.
    This gearbox works in a way that the sixth gear moves down (when you shift from 3rd to 2nd) and catches with teeth second gear, puting it function, but then those teeth can jump out when using QS - why? Because when you use clutch the gears sync during shift and catch properly, when u use QS the gear has to 'catch' the rotation of drive, so its easier for it to not grab properly and pop out when teeth (dogs) are worn out.

I solved this temporarely by granding the old gear worn out teeth, it immideately worked, but then I received the new revision part (6th gear) which has been completely redesigned as you see. enforced, more teeth....clearly an engineering problem on first revision part.
    Also, clearly amazing that this problem persists through three generations and 10 years of updates. Having said that, I think that the quick-shifter as a later add-on was not part of the original design spec. But the possibility that 2019 models are still failing is difficult to defend.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    Reply #905 on: November 23, 2021, 09:44:50 am
    November 23, 2021, 09:44:50 am
    At least now there is a solution for those who want to have bike for many years and miles. But not everyone has ability and guts to do it at home, like we did, doing this at dealer with no warranty its easy 1000€

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #906 on: November 23, 2021, 05:43:46 pm
    November 23, 2021, 05:43:46 pm
    At least now there is a solution for those who want to have bike for many years and miles. But not everyone has ability and guts to do it at home, like we did, doing this at dealer with no warranty its easy 1000€
    Did you change the selector shaft?

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    Reply #907 on: November 23, 2021, 06:21:44 pm
    November 23, 2021, 06:21:44 pm
    Yes I did but that did not solve the problem. Selector shaft is a problem when it goes to neutral directly during shifting.

In above case 2nd gear slips out after it already shifts in 2nd and then during engine braking it slips out.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #908 on: November 23, 2021, 08:55:25 pm
    November 23, 2021, 08:55:25 pm
    Yes I did but that did not solve the problem. Selector shaft is a problem when it goes to neutral directly during shifting.

In above case 2nd gear slips out after it already shifts in 2nd and then during engine braking it slips out.
    My belief is that the gear damage can result from the selector shaft wear. But the quick shifter could be another cause.

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    Reply #909 on: November 23, 2021, 09:25:16 pm
    November 23, 2021, 09:25:16 pm
    Indissasembled everything got familiar with how everything works and selector fork has nothing to do with this error.
    Its simply bad material and wrongly engineered part. Yes it would be ok dor clutch only but after QS even Triumph realised a different part - stronger one- is needed. So they revised it. Btw new 6th gear is even much heavier then previous version

nonskid