Author Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 240406 times)

• Offline CaptainTrips   ca

• Explorer God  ‐    5939

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    • Bike: '13 Explorer
    • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
    Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
    Reply #930 on: March 18, 2022, 04:58:08 pm
    March 18, 2022, 04:58:08 pm
    *Originally Posted by GvG [+]
    So the Gen3 doesn't have the 3rd to neutral gearbox problem anymore?
    There have been a few reports of similar gearbox issues in newer Explorers that have the quick shift option, and Triumph have continued to revise some of the gears as a result.
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

• Offline GvG   nl

• Explorer Member  ‐    30

Offline GvG

• Explorer Member
    Reply #931 on: March 18, 2022, 06:14:22 pm
    March 18, 2022, 06:14:22 pm
    Okay thanks. But from which year (or VIN) are some of the gears revised then?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #932 on: March 18, 2022, 11:51:14 pm
    March 18, 2022, 11:51:14 pm
    *Originally Posted by GvG [+]
    Okay thanks. But from which year (or VIN) are some of the gears revised then?
    Triumph only recently revised some of the gears as replacement parts, doubling the number of dogs on the cog. More info at the top of the page here (see photo).

https://www.tiger-explorer.com/index.php/topic,8177.900.html
    "The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

• Offline nldls   nl

• Explorer Member  ‐    38

Offline nldls

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XC
    Reply #933 on: April 15, 2022, 06:20:20 pm
    April 15, 2022, 06:20:20 pm
    Hi,

New here with my (for me) 2 week old 2013 Explorer XC.

Been driving last week to work with it and a couple times had the 3rd to neutral issues. Thought it was me first, but after happening every day thought to look further and came here. Contacted the sales guy (dealer bought but no warranty), and they will replace the whole gearbox now.

A revised box has been ordered now and have to wait untill it arrives at the local Triumph dealership.

Costs will be about 1800 euro for a replacement, the dealer, the sales agency and myself have to pay 1/3rd of the bill so somewhere between 400-600 euro to get it up and running again.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #934 on: April 16, 2022, 03:12:48 am
    April 16, 2022, 03:12:48 am
    *Originally Posted by nldls [+]
    Hi,

New here with my (for me) 2 week old 2013 Explorer XC.

Been driving last week to work with it and a couple times had the 3rd to neutral issues. Thought it was me first, but after happening every day thought to look further and came here. Contacted the sales guy (dealer bought but no warranty), and they will replace the whole gearbox now.

A revised box has been ordered now and have to wait untill it arrives at the local Triumph dealership.

Costs will be about 1800 euro for a replacement, the dealer, the sales agency and myself have to pay 1/3rd of the bill so somewhere between 400-600 euro to get it up and running again.
    Make sure that they also order the selector shaft and associated bits that are accessed separately from the the gearbox ( located behind the radiator coolant bottle).

• Offline UncleSteve   za

• Explorer Junior  ‐    13

Offline UncleSteve

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: TEX 1200
    • City / Town: Johannesburg
    Reply #935 on: May 17, 2022, 03:01:12 pm
    May 17, 2022, 03:01:12 pm
    My 2015 TEX1200 has the same issue, initially I thought it was me or something I was doing.

I've ridden the bike like this for 2 years and seeminly found a way to avoid it, I've noticed it only really happens at low speeds when there wouldn't be any load on the gears. I thought it was a convenience thing.  :155: :745:

My bike is currently at the dealer at the moment, so will ask them to take a look while it's there. With the bike being 7 years old, is this something that would be covered by a recall? Is it a known factory fault?

• Offline nldls   nl

• Explorer Member  ‐    38

Offline nldls

• Explorer Member
    • Bike: Tiger 1200 XC
    Reply #936 on: May 17, 2022, 05:38:14 pm
    May 17, 2022, 05:38:14 pm
    Small update on my part. Gearbox has been ordered from the UK and takes about 5 weeks to ship in. Should be here in the coming 2 to 3 weeks. Then we have to plan the replacement. I don't have the problem everyday and have learned to shift to 2nd before I enter the corner so I have time to adjust the gear if necessary.

I've driven over 1000 km with this problem and its not undriveable, just something to keep my eyes on.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
    Reply #937 on: May 18, 2022, 01:07:08 am
    May 18, 2022, 01:07:08 am
    *Originally Posted by UncleSteve [+]
    My 2015 TEX1200 has the same issue, initially I thought it was me or something I was doing.

I've ridden the bike like this for 2 years and seeminly found a way to avoid it, I've noticed it only really happens at low speeds when there wouldn't be any load on the gears. I thought it was a convenience thing.  :155: :745:

My bike is currently at the dealer at the moment, so will ask them to take a look while it's there. With the bike being 7 years old, is this something that would be covered by a recall? Is it a known factory fault?
    Known factory fault? Yes. Recall? No. The selector shaft replacement is relatively inexpensive. If allowed to continue, collateral damage of gears can result, which more expensive to repair.

• Online jures   si

• Explorer Pro  ‐    159

Online jures

• Explorer Pro
    • Bike: Tiger 12GT Explorer
    • City / Town: MEDVODE
    Reply #938 on: May 18, 2022, 08:10:35 am
    May 18, 2022, 08:10:35 am
    Back to topic - 3rd to neutral is defenetely a warn 6th gear dog (its connecting to 2nd gear dog), past 40.000km I am ok, so solution is either grind the teeteh for less then mm (to grind of warn part) or to replace 6th gear dog.

Thats it.

P.S. I solved this for life as I am trading my 2018 XCA for new GT Explorer :)

• Offline UncleSteve   za

• Explorer Junior  ‐    13

Offline UncleSteve

• Explorer Junior
    • Bike: TEX 1200
    • City / Town: Johannesburg
    Reply #939 on: May 18, 2022, 08:37:13 am
    May 18, 2022, 08:37:13 am
    *Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
    Known factory fault? Yes. Recall? No. The selector shaft replacement is relatively inexpensive. If allowed to continue, collateral damage of gears can result, which more expensive to repair.

Thanks CaptainTrips, I will enquire about the parts. Piss poor performance on the part of Triumph for not sorting it out...

nonskid