Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 126323 times)

Offline plaaty

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Devon
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #750 on: April 05, 2019, 07:35:21 PM »
I spoke to the guy who owned it from new, he only had it a while and said it cut out a bunch of times and his local dealer had it for three months before the fault was sorted, he never rode it again and traded for a yam.
good result with my gearbox today, after 160 miles of road test the fault happened, they've now ordered new shifter parts! hopefully there'll be a nice slice of humble pie when I pick it up  :001:

Offline Phil

• Explorer Pro
  • Phil
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Pulborough
« Reply #751 on: June 22, 2019, 09:41:29 AM »
Hi All

My 2015 TEx started to occasionally find an unwanted neutral between 3rd and 2nd about a year ago.
Following all the good advice on this forum, I had the selector shaft replaced at the recent 40,000 mile service.

In the 400 miles or so since, I haven't had one repeat misbehaviour. One happy bunny, and many many thanks to everyone who so helpfully posted on the subject.

Phil  :152:

Offline Mrslippyfists

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 explorer
  • City / Town: Toledo
« Reply #752 on: September 23, 2019, 06:26:26 PM »
The last few pages of this post are pretty refreshing. I will share my horror story about the issue I had.
I purchased my bike brand new from a dealership...... I told them about the shifter problem 3 days after picking the bike up. I searched all kinds of forums stating my problem and was always told, "You don't know how to shift properly", "Find yourself a proper dealer.", and " This is not a known issue.". I went to 2 dealerships in my quest to have this issue resolved. it took over 2 years to finally get it fixed. The second dealership had a tech who I allowed to ride the bike home 2 days. The first day he said he could not replicate it and the second day he said every time he downshifted it would do it. Parts were ordered and for reasons unknown to me he left the dealership. The dealership had the bike for over 6 months in total and refused to do the work. They had a tech tear the bike apart and reassemble incorrectly causing a major safety issue as parts got into the oil pan from the shift barrel. The new dealership had the bike fixed in 3 weeks due to having to wait on parts from the UK. Triumph America was very helpful and wanted to cover costs of labor and parts. Triumph UK had the final say and they told me to pound sand on the labor. So the when the bike was still in warranty nobody would listen to my issue and refused to investigate the issue and I later found out that a "tech notice" was put out not long before I purchased my bike on the matter. Since it was a  "tech notice" and not a recall or anything like that notifications were not sent out to dealerships and would only be found by techs who decided to stay current with what Triumph was putting out. The guys I talked to with Triumph America were great and seemed like they honestly wanted to help me out while UK refused to answer any emails and I had no way to contact anyone. I love my explorer and have since put 4k miles on it since getting it back 2 months ago but to give someone the cold shoulder on a brand new bike that had less than 3k miles on it for a known issue is a huge let down. I was drooling over the new Tiger1200 at the last dealership but I may end up and walk away and get a BMW or S10 or even a Ducati as from what I have heard and know from friends their customer service would not have let this situation fly.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #753 on: September 24, 2019, 04:57:12 AM »
It is sad how often a relatively minor issue can be left to fester until it becomes a big issue and then the OEM doesn't make it right. My takeaway is that you really have to be persistent with Triumph to get any kind of consideration from them.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Pailton

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: Leicester
« Reply #754 on: September 25, 2019, 12:50:49 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
My takeaway is that you really have to be persistent with Triumph to get any kind of consideration from them.

I agree completely  :028:

To cut a very long and arduous story short my Gen 3 started going from 3rd to neutral or jumping out of second on hard acceleration within a couple of hundred miles from new. It was intermittent which the dealer could absolutely never replicate, I must have been back to them to test it at least 10 times. Eventually after 18 months and 20k miles Triumph finally agreed to renew the gearbox which was replaced at the start of last month, when I collected it I was told the Technician still could see nothing wrong with the components.

I have now just completed 4k miles since the gearbox was replaced and it is absolutely spot on, exactly as it should of been from day one and no doubt the same as all the other Gen3's in the world. It's bloody brilliant.  :046:

Offline Regi T

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Melbourne
« Reply #755 on: September 25, 2019, 12:32:48 PM »
Have

Offline flaldrider

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Explorer Launch
  • City / Town: Tallahassee
« Reply #756 on: October 10, 2019, 01:57:11 AM »
Had the downshift from third to neutral  issue on  my '15 Explorer but was able to get it corrected.

After the dealer replaced the detent spring on the shifter mechanism and did not correct the issue, the dealer mechanic was going to Triumph training in Atlanta and the consensus was the shifting pawls. It seems the downshift pawl worn just a tiny bit. When he returned, they replaced the gear change shaft assembly. The bike now shifts flawlessly on up shifts (never a problem) and down shifts without going to neutral instead of second gear.

Here is a picture of the gear change shaft.
Mikie

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #757 on: October 10, 2019, 01:49:59 PM »
Yup, that's the culprit. Glad that you got it sorted.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Recent Topics

nonskid