Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 135969 times)

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
« Reply #760 on: March 19, 2020, 04:29:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
There's your problem right there. Liquid moly has ruined your clutch friction plates. Your problem is the clutch slipping at higher RPMs.
He might be using Liquid Moly motorcycle oil which is JASO MA2 though which should be fine?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #761 on: March 19, 2020, 04:36:09 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
He might be using Liquid Moly motorcycle oil which is JASO MA2 though which should be fine?
I'd not heard of that oil, but I just googled it. The stuff that I found is marketed as scooter oil. Scooters don't have wet clutches. I did not see anything about it being JASO MA2 compliant.

https://fortnine.ca/en/liqui-moly-scooter-4t-synthetic-oil-10w40-1-l?gclid=CjwKCAjwsMzzBRACEiwAx4lLG7PBJHdG3qUt2IkHcqi6a8W1Opw6angSHH9st_9g2JxBG9bBPfJHbRoCjwUQAvD_BwE
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
« Reply #762 on: March 19, 2020, 04:38:49 PM »
They have an oil selector by bike on their site, you end up with three options, this was one. https://products.liqui-moly.com/motorbike-4t-10w-40-offroad-2.html  :028:

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #763 on: March 19, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
They have an oil selector by bike on their site, you end up with three options, this was one. https://products.liqui-moly.com/motorbike-4t-10w-40-offroad-2.html  :028:
But if you grab the wrong one off the shelf...  :155:

I remember Liquid Molly as an additive for car engines. Up till today, I was not aware that they made motorcycle engine oil products. Personally, I would not take a chance with this product.

I might be wrong, but the coincidence is pretty strong in the OP's case. I guess it all depends on whether the bike is popping out of gear, or whether it is remaining in gear and slipping.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 04:47:59 PM by CaptainTrips »
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline rt_hawk

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: ROSLINDALE
« Reply #764 on: March 24, 2020, 11:53:35 AM »
I'm just a simple biochemist who's training focused on oil and lubrication, but I can manage to pick the right specified oil and filter. It doesn't slip in any other gear, it jumps out, revs high, catches back into gear, only in second. I use the 15w-50 variation.

Liqui Moly 4T Synth Street / Race Engine Oil 10w-50
Liqui Moly 4T Street / Race Motor Oil is a fully synthetic ultra-high-performance oil that was developed to ensure maximum performance for air and water-cooled 4-stroke engines. The same performance properties that protect modern race engines under extreme conditions also ensure smooth clutch engagement and crisp shifting in your street machine. Very low wear, low oil consumption and outstanding engine cleanliness are additional benefits of this world class oil. Formulated to support wet clutch operation and protect catalytic converters.

Features:
Fully synthetic
Developed for air and water-cooled 4-stroke engines exposed to normal to extreme operating conditions
Ideal for sport/race applications
Suitable for engines with or without a wet clutch
High shear stability
Optimum stability to aging
Optimum lubrication under all operating conditions
Tested and proven safe on engines with catalytic converters
Standards: API SM, JASO MA2
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 12:46:31 PM by rt_hawk »

Offline rt_hawk

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2017 TEX XCA
  • City / Town: ROSLINDALE
« Reply #765 on: March 24, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
Opps, pulled an older ad, my oil was api SN plus and Jamo ma2 rated.

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #766 on: March 24, 2020, 04:49:50 PM »
I guess my age is showing. I remember MolySlip as an oil additive for cars that would and could mess up your wet clutch.

Anyway, if your bike is still under warranty, take it to the dealer. If it is not, then the remedy is discussed in this thread. Start with replacing the shaft and related bits. It is accessible behind the radiator coolant overflow bottle.

Offline NiK

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Red Skin Mk3
  • City / Town: Marseille
« Reply #767 on: March 25, 2020, 10:43:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by CaptainTrips [+]
I guess my age is showing. I remember MolySlip as an oil additive for cars that would and could mess up your wet clutch.
This clearly rings a bell to me also.
I think there was a thread about it somewhere.

Offline Mark Carter

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer 1215
  • City / Town: Southampton
« Reply #768 on: March 25, 2020, 10:57:42 AM »
Slick 50 was another one to be avoided.  IIRC it used PTFE and would certainly reduce wet clutch grip.  Do they still make that?

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2020, 11:06:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mark Carter [+]
Slick 50 was another one to be avoided.  IIRC it used PTFE and would certainly reduce wet clutch grip.  Do they still make that?

They still make Slick 50:

https://slick50store.com/

And, they still make Molyslip:

https://www.molyslip.com/

That is the stuff that I was thinking about.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:09:28 AM by CaptainTrips »

Recent Topics

nonskid