Author Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 149901 times)

Offline electroken

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Shelton, CT
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
Reply #800 on: July 31, 2020, 12:54:18 PM
Nice photos! The last one is the money shot. The top corner of the shifter shaft is clearly peened over,  and not evenly. The part I don't understand is why it is making contact there in the first place. When the shift shaft rotates it should engage the pins to its left at one of the curved surfaces, not right at that blunted point.

I have a 2015 and I'm wondering if I'm seeing my future. Seeing a roll pin used in the detent wheel assembly doesn't make me feel any better. They were OK in the 19th century.
Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:04:09 PM by electroken

Offline TRob

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Reply #801 on: July 31, 2020, 10:25:18 PM
*Originally Posted by electroken [+]
Nice photos! The last one is the money shot. The top corner of the shifter shaft is clearly peened over,  and not evenly. The part I don't understand is why it is making contact there in the first place. When the shift shaft rotates it should engage the pins to its left at one of the curved surfaces, not right at that blunted point.

I have a 2015 and I'm wondering if I'm seeing my future. Seeing a roll pin used in the detent wheel assembly doesn't make me feel any better. They were OK in the 19th century.
  Thanks. Yeah it's either a major design flaw or terrible quality control. This is my first and last Triumph. I bought it new and have had regrets ever since

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #802 on: July 31, 2020, 11:06:27 PM
*Originally Posted by TRob [+]
  Thanks. Yeah it's either a major design flaw or terrible quality control. This is my first and last Triumph. I bought it new and have had regrets ever since

:0461: It seems problems with bikes are now often caused by poor quality control and/or materials. I wonder if its the bean-counters to blame or the designers. My knee-jerk reaction & cynical instinct blames the bean-counters but I could be wrong. Thankfully the bad old days of sloppy workmanship on the production line seem to have eradicated.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #803 on: August 01, 2020, 12:47:34 AM
*Originally Posted by electroken [+]

You're right but I think we might be seeing effect rather than cause there, it looks like the top "point" is getting peeled over not because it it's out of tolerance or insufficiently hardened but because the selector drum is not consistently locating in the correct position after shifting causing it to hammer on the pin when downshifting rather than hooking on to it.

I think that replacing the shifter shaft may give a short/medium term improvement but I doubt that it's a permanent fix, unless of course they've modified the design by mking the arm the downshift hook Is on the end of slightly longer so that it can still engage with the pins when the drum is slightly out of position.

Offline trade_nancy

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 1200
  • City / Town: Manawatu
Reply #804 on: August 01, 2020, 09:22:43 AM
I agree with Jannerman. I have very little experience with the inside workings of gearboxes..but have rebuilt a couple. The most recent in 2010 - a K2 Honda CB750. The selector forks after 38 years and umpteen miles were near new. I see these problems being caused by incorrect part design and manufacture. The fork is as stated - striking the pin with it's head and not getting a chance to give it a full embrace. sh#te part design or implementation - both probably.
Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:26:33 AM by trade_nancy

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #805 on: August 01, 2020, 05:18:36 PM
At last count, I think that T have gone through three updates to this part, so you would hope that the current version is finally right.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Alleycat1234

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Ottawa Ontario
Reply #806 on: August 01, 2020, 09:36:00 PM
Great photos.  Will be printing those and showing the service rep when I bring in the bike for service in 3 weeks.  Triumph needs to resolve this...  I can’t imagine changing the part every 2 years.  I’ll be going back to Yamaha if it’s the case. 

Online CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #807 on: August 02, 2020, 12:31:58 AM
*Originally Posted by Alleycat1234 [+]
Great photos.  Will be printing those and showing the service rep when I bring in the bike for service in 3 weeks.  Triumph needs to resolve this...  I can’t imagine changing the part every 2 years.  I’ll be going back to Yamaha if it’s the case.
This problem dates back 8 years. I would, however, expect that the new gen4 T12 will have a redesigned gearbox, given that the engine appears to be new. Having said that, I can't think of anyone offhand who has had this happen twice.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline TRob

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2015 Explorer
  • City / Town: Cincinnati
Reply #808 on: August 03, 2020, 02:42:24 AM
We'll I got the new shaft installed and now the bike shifts the way it should. I'm not very confident that it' will last long. I was thinking about the fact that it's shaft drive and when you downshift when riding aggressive it chirps the back tyre when you downshift could attribute to the wear? Seems like a harsh action not to wear out something.

Offline ExplorerInCa

• Explorer Junior
  • City / Town: Huntington Beach
Reply #809 on: August 03, 2020, 03:00:14 AM
Hi all,

New to the forum but long time owner of many triumphs.  Excited (?) To find this thread.

My 2015 explorer xc has developed this 3rd to neutral problem as well after about 20k miles.  The 81 pages of people having the same problem makes me feel better that I haven't abused the bike (or maybe worse that it was poorly built).

Waiting now for my dealer to have availability to take the bike in.  Seems like COVID has lead to a huge amount of inventory and no place to store customer bikes while parts shortages make the issue worse.

I haven't made it through all of the 81 pages of this post yet, but have any if you in the USA lodged complaints with the NHTSA yet?  It seems like this could be considered a safety issue worthy of a recall, but NHTSA doesn't do anything until they have enough customer complaints.  I filed one just in case, but I would suggest other Americans do the same. 

nonskid