Author Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 188016 times)

Offline Diogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 2015
  • City / Town: Florianópolis
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
Reply #860 on: June 10, 2021, 12:59:12 PM
That's very good news. I'm glad I stored the damaged shaft so I can try to do the same thing next time the shaft self destructs.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #861 on: June 10, 2021, 05:08:39 PM
*Originally Posted by Diogo [+]
That's very good news. I'm glad I stored the damaged shaft so I can try to do the same thing next time the shaft self destructs.
If you have the tools and skills to do this, it sounds like a great option. But this should never have become an extended service item.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Christian Luft

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Ortenberg
Reply #862 on: June 10, 2021, 06:46:14 PM
That s true. But unfortunately the design engineer has choosen a pretty cheap material for the fork. Its just stamped sheet metal so it will us accompanied for a longer period of time. I don’t know how the newer bike behave. Any experience?

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #863 on: June 11, 2021, 05:11:41 PM
*Originally Posted by Christian Luft [+]
That s true. But unfortunately the design engineer has choosen a pretty cheap material for the fork. Its just stamped sheet metal so it will us accompanied for a longer period of time. I don’t know how the newer bike behave. Any experience?
I do know that that part went through three different revisions (part numbers) for the gen1 TEX.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Christian Luft

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: 2015 TEX
  • City / Town: Ortenberg
Reply #864 on: June 13, 2021, 05:24:20 AM
Hello Captain
Well, that means triumph is aware of that issue and is not willing to initiate a recall. That‘s sad.
Christian

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #865 on: June 13, 2021, 10:42:10 AM
*Originally Posted by Christian Luft [+]
Hello Captain
Well, that means triumph is aware of that issue and is not willing to initiate a recall. That‘s sad.
Christian

That is not unusual in the motoring world unfortunately, there are many many similar stories. I am on my sixth Bosch Air Temp Intake sensor on my 2016 Nissan X-Trail, the original, two more supplied under warranty, one replaced out of warranty buy a dealer at a rip off €270 and the last two myself at €40 each plus 10 minutes of my time. It is a well known problem with this vehicle, either a poor implementation by Nissan or just piss poor Bosch quality control. Nobody cares and it is not worth my time arguing with anybody. My colleague has the same car slightly newer, he has been a bit luckier, he is on his third.

There is another gearbox issue on the Bonneville range which many owners are getting very exercised about. Triumph are doing little about it and relying on a lot of them doing very low mileage and never encountering it. I don't know how much of the issue is "forum exaggerated" or real but there is something going on with it. The Explorer gearbox issue is very real though but how many bikes it affects, who knows?

Offline Will Morgan

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Ross on Wye
Reply #866 on: June 13, 2021, 01:34:55 PM
*Originally Posted by XCaTel [+]
I don't know how much of the issue is "forum exaggerated" or real but there is something going on with it. The Explorer gearbox issue is very real though but how many bikes it affects, who knows?

:0461: Those who have had the problem justifiably make a lot of comments about it but as long as they are in the minority of owners Triumph will deal with it as a warranty issue (or if you're out of warranty & lucky as a goodwill gesture). It would only become a recall if it was occurring frequently enough to be deemed a safety issue. And I'm not sure who would declare it a safety issue....a government agency or Triumph themselves? Anyway by now, with a replacement model in the pipeline, its probably too late. It might have been different if enough victims had complained formally & directly to Triumph and the appropriate government agency. Sadly even if Triumph read forums they can choose to ignore them, especially as its comments from people who have already bought bikes = criticism in the press where prospective new buyers could read it would be more productive.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
Reply #867 on: June 13, 2021, 05:06:23 PM
One factor is that the early symptoms of this problem can masquerade as sloppy shifting or just rider fatigue. I think that recalls are usually safety driven and are often accelerated by an incident causing injury or death, such as having the rear wheel lock up when two gears are simultaneously selected.

I have personally initiated a safety recall on select 2019 Royal Enfield Himalayan models in Canada last year when I discovered that my bike had a previous model year instrument pod that lacked the ABS warning light on the dash. ABS was introduced on that model here in 2019. It turned out that about 65 bikes were shipped to Canada with this defect. All it took was a couple of photos of the user manual and the bike's dash submitted via email.
Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 05:12:32 PM by CaptainTrips

nonskid