Author Topic: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..  (Read 226289 times)

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger XCA1200
  • City / Town: MEDVODE
Re: Gearbox problem - 3rd to neutral..
Reply #880 on: August 20, 2021, 02:41:15 PM
In your case the ‘wheel’ is held by spring and cannot move back freely. Your call

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
Reply #881 on: August 23, 2021, 06:14:05 PM
Ok found today a broken part….(weld). Dont know how I missed it first time…..?
The new one shows how it should be welded…

Hope this brings me piece

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
Reply #882 on: August 25, 2021, 02:15:21 AM
*Originally Posted by Diogo [+]
Here are the pictures. This is the incorrect assembly, the U shaped tip of the spring is outside the hole.

This is after the reassembly. The spring must be fitted to the other part before assembly on the selector shaft.

This is how the assembly looked from the factory on my bike.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline D.M.

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancaster
Reply #883 on: August 30, 2021, 09:46:45 AM
I fixed mine last week, start to finish took 45 mins and was dead easy. Done several hundred miles and not a single issue, so much easier to ride now.

For those of you looking to do the fix this is what I found.

1: You should only need to order 3 parts, T1194444 Shaft Assy, Pivot Gear Change (£109.31), T1261426 Gasket, Gear Change Cover (£5.35), T3550542 Washer, Cu, Od12.5 x Id6.4 (£0.58).
2: Don't bother ordering the detent wheel, springs or anything else, you "shouldn't" need them.
3: The spring does NOT go in the hole.......

I ordered basically everything just to be on the safe side since I had a shift return spring snap on my Spring 1050GT a few weeks back but, after having done the repair I would say just do the 3 parts.
My old Detent Wheel was exactly as the new one, no wear at all, the springs are much heavier then the one that snapped on my 1050 GT so don't expect them to be an issue.
There is a noticeable difference with the size of the lugs on the new Shaft Assy so I suspect this will be a permanent fix but, if not £115 and 45 mins work every few years ain't that bad....

Local Dealer said they had never heard of the issue and wanted £90 to do a diagnostic test ride so a DIY fix makes a lot of sense given how easy it is to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers D.M.

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2018 XCa
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #884 on: August 30, 2021, 10:12:07 AM
*Originally Posted by D.M. [+]
I fixed mine last week, start to finish took 45 mins and was dead easy. Done several hundred miles and not a single issue, so much easier to ride now.

For those of you looking to do the fix this is what I found.

1: You should only need to order 3 parts, T1194444 Shaft Assy, Pivot Gear Change (£109.31), T1261426 Gasket, Gear Change Cover (£5.35), T3550542 Washer, Cu, Od12.5 x Id6.4 (£0.58).
2: Don't bother ordering the detent wheel, springs or anything else, you "shouldn't" need them.
3: The spring does NOT go in the hole.......

I ordered basically everything just to be on the safe side since I had a shift return spring snap on my Spring 1050GT a few weeks back but, after having done the repair I would say just do the 3 parts.
My old Detent Wheel was exactly as the new one, no wear at all, the springs are much heavier then the one that snapped on my 1050 GT so don't expect them to be an issue.
There is a noticeable difference with the size of the lugs on the new Shaft Assy so I suspect this will be a permanent fix but, if not £115 and 45 mins work every few years ain't that bad....

Local Dealer said they had never heard of the issue and wanted £90 to do a diagnostic test ride so a DIY fix makes a lot of sense given how easy it is to do.

Hope this helps.

Cheers D.M.

:464: Nice one D.M.

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
Reply #885 on: August 30, 2021, 11:10:39 AM
I still have issues with mine but I think I (we) missed an important info. Do you all have a problem from 3rd to neutral at actual shifting? Because mine shifts but if I leave it in revs it will 'jump out' of third in neutral.

Typicaly when you dowshift 5-4-3-2 into corner and if I shift from 3rd to second leaving the revs to break the engine, it pops out to neutral - it could be several seconds after shift to 2nd. So I dont have a problem at actual shifting itself.

So how was you case?

Offline Diogo

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer 2015
  • City / Town: Florianópolis
Reply #886 on: August 30, 2021, 01:35:02 PM
The problem for me was always during shifting. I would downshift from 3rd, give it some gas expecting power, just to find out I'm in neutral.

My bike never dropped out of gear with the clutch out. This topic is really long, but I think there are posts reporting the issue you are having. If I'm not mistaken, the fix was to replace one or two gears.

I would wait for some more knowledgeable answers before opening your gearbox, though. Especially after my bad spring placement advice  :138:

My understanding is that we haven't found the actual source of all these gear issues. The selector shaft fix is already reported to be just a temporary workaround. And by Triumph's epic efforts to dismiss the problem, I'm afraid it would take a very expensive recall to fix it for good.

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
Reply #887 on: August 30, 2021, 01:54:26 PM
Ot will ne checked by official service soon.
Interestingly mine never drips out of gear when using clutch - ONLY and ONLY under quickshift

Offline D.M.

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • City / Town: Lancaster
Reply #888 on: August 30, 2021, 03:47:58 PM
@jures
Mine is a 2015 Gen1 with 25000 miles, only had it a few weeks and the 3rd to Neutral on down-shift issues was very bad. It did NOT ever jump out of gear at all, it was just on the down shift from 3rd to 2nd when it would get neutral all the time. Also, on occasion, mine would crunch gears on up-shift from 4th to 5th and would end up in 6th but that is now also fixed.
I believe your issue may be related to the Input Shaft and Gears being worn or damaged as mentioned by others in this thread. That said, I would always start with the simple low cost fix first since it will probably need doing anyway before committing to a very expensive gearbox rebuild.

FYI, Triumph UK had all parts in stock when I placed my order about 2 weeks ago.

Cheers D.M.

Offline jures

• Explorer Member
Reply #889 on: August 30, 2021, 04:15:59 PM
Thanks. The only thing that bothers me is that everything is working perfectly when using clutch.

Not a single error in 1 yesr if using clutch…..

nonskid