Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 5 days late August green European rider  (Read 851 times)

Offline littlelack

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • What a Triumph
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Northants
5 days late August green European rider
« on: June 05, 2014, 02:52:01 AM »
Hi All,

My mate has managed to nab 5 days in late August away from his beloved family to come on a little jolly around some of Europe's finest roads with me.

Any suggestions on a 5 day round trip?? We will be camping for the duration of the trip so  either costal or inland routes suggestions are welcome.

Regards

Little Lack :0)
Support each other

Offline moggi1964

• Explorer Master
  • Oldish Git
  • City / Town: Sale Cheshire
Re: 5 days late August green European rider
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:58:04 PM »
It's a long time ago but I used to love the Breton coast and camping was plentiful and cheap.

Dinard; Dinan; Rennes are nice stops. Nantes was nice too. Lovely roads in the area.

If you want to spend as little time on motorways as possible, then staying in Brittany/Normandy will work. If you don't mind a blast South or East then I'll leave that to people with more experience of that area.
Moggi

"To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one's ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone."
Bruce McLaren

Offline mjab

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Red Explorer
  • City / Town: Near Portsmouth
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:35:17 PM »
Overnight ferry to Normandy.

A good 400 mile day ride non motorway (done many times) down to the Auvergne and a camp site on the edge of Issoire with an excellent restaurant nearby.

3 days enjoying the traffic free, smooth tarmac and blinding twistys of the roads around the area.

Early start back, 5 pm ferry back to blighty and home by midnight on day 5

A group of us go every year, Tues night ferry out back Sunday evening and its only 3 days off work  :152:
4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul

Offline Woodpecker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 1200 explorer
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 06:50:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by moggi1964 [+]
It's a long time ago but I used to love the Breton coast and camping was plentiful and cheap.

Dinard; Dinan; Rennes are nice stops. Nantes was nice too. Lovely roads in the area.

If you want to spend as little time on motorways as possible, then staying in Brittany/Normandy will work. If you don't mind a blast South or East then I'll leave that to people with more experience of that area.

+1 for Dinnan loved this place, I think its called hede also close by, worth a look there's a valley with about 7 locks taking barges and vessels up through the valley. Good to watch with a cold beer on a summers day, especially when your not doing all the hard work.

Offline littlelack

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • What a Triumph
  • City / Town: Northants
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 05:35:29 AM »
Hi All thanks for the info, all look on google maps spec the overnight to Normandy (like the idea of the overnight as I've always taken the train across)
Support each other

Offline Woodpecker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 1200 explorer
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 08:29:37 PM »
Did the over night from portsmouth to Caen several times, with a cheap cabin. Stow bike, get cabin sorted, quick change of togs and a cold beer as you leave harbour with something to eat. Turn in and wake up refreshed and raring to get some miles in.
Just watch those ships decks getting on and off.

Offline rory

• Non Active
  • Bike: Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Peterborough
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 10:18:17 AM »
Germany every time for me.... Lovely roads, lovely scenery and top beer!

Recent Topics

nonskid