Author Topic: Clunky gear change  (Read 9943 times)

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
Clunky gear change
on: June 06, 2014, 01:27:27 PM
Anyone besides me feel the gearshift on the Explorer is clunky at times?
Makes a click when up shifting at times.  There are times when it shifts just fine so it's intermittent.
It shifts into gear fine but makes an audible click. 
Been riding all my life and have owned a dozen bikes over the years including a Speed Triple, Sprint, and a Tiger 800.
Purchased the Piazo levers last week to see if the increased adjustability would help.  It hasn't.
This is the first bike I've owned with hydraulic clutch so there's some adjustability there.
Only other thought is adjusting angle of the shift lever itself.
Any thoughts?

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Re: Clunky gear change
Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 01:50:55 PM
I am given to understand that the gear cluster in the Triumph is robust. That also means heavy. For this reason one needs to be deliberate with the gear change and not rush it. I have found that rushing it can cause difficulty changing from 1st to 2nd especially. However as the mileage racks up on my bike the gear changes are getting better.

You may well find also that gear changes are easier when the oil is good and hot. My Dealer originally delivered the bike with 10/50 oil on board. I subsequently changed to 10/40 and found a slight improvement. I have also discovered over the years that when there is high mileage on any particular oil, the gear change can get notchy. This in my book is the bike giving me the nod to change the oil, as it has started to lose its lubricative powers and is no longer capable of doing its job properly.

Otherwise I am happy with the gearbox on my Tex and as shafties go, it is very good imho.

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 03:32:30 PM
Oil was just changed.  I've only 4,000 miles so hopefully it will improve.
Now that you mention it about oil, I replaced it at 3,000 with 10W50 as recommended but thought since my other Triumphs used 15W50 that I should try using heavier oil not lighter as you did. 
Interesting the lighter oil helped.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 03:40:23 PM
I suppose in retrospect I changed to 10/40 during Autumn/winter. It would obviously make a more significant difference then than in summer. However my point is that a heavier oil will create more of a drag on the gears than a lighter one.

One other thought is to possibly change the position of the shift lever to one more comfortable for your foot. I have had to do that on a couple of my bikes. One in particular benefitted significantly from this adjustment and the outcome was a much smoother change. 

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 03:49:05 PM
Mine was clunky at times, got gradually worse and then with 10k on the bike the detent arm went and it would hardly shift between 2nd and 3rd at all. Got the part replaced under warranty and now the bike shifts better than new, not clunky at all and one of the best shifting bikes I've had, just takes a light touch of the lever now.

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 04:01:29 PM
*Originally Posted by scottdc [+]
Mine was clunky at times, got gradually worse and then with 10k on the bike the detent arm went and it would hardly shift between 2nd and 3rd at all. Got the part replaced under warranty and now the bike shifts better than new, not clunky at all and one of the best shifting bikes I've had, just takes a light touch of the lever now.

Hopefully that's not the issue.  Jeeze, now I have that in the back of my mind to think about every time it goes clunk. LOL
I thought about adjusting the lever hight too. 
You may be on to it there.

Offline scottdc

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer,Multistrada
  • City / Town: Portland, OR
Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 04:55:23 PM
*Originally Posted by Yamaone [+]
Hopefully that's not the issue.  Jeeze, now I have that in the back of my mind to think about every time it goes clunk. LOL
I thought about adjusting the lever hight too. 
You may be on to it there.

Don't worry too much, probably not the problem but if it is the only real issue I had was the part was backordered at the time. The actual fix was done in an afternoon and had it not been a warranty issue the part would have been like $12 :)

Lever height can do funny things. On my wives F650 I was convinced there was a transmission issue until moving the lever down one spline, now it works great, heh. It doesn't take much for it to feel totally off and miss shifts.

Offline Rodders

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Banbury
Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 08:07:17 PM
I thought it was just me.  Sometimes the gear change feels really slick and other times it feels like a BMW..

Offline gscojo

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Stillwater, MN
Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:56:05 PM
I find that mine shifts smoother without the clutch. Just a blip of the throttle.

Offline boricua

• Explorer Pro
  • City / Town: Parker, Colorado
Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 04:26:24 PM
Mine sometimes kick back when shifting from 1 to 2 under heavy acceleration.  However,  it   is getting better as miles pile up.
Wherever I go, there I am

nonskid