Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clunky gear change  (Read 8507 times)

Offline Woodpecker

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 1200 explorer
  • City / Town: Isle of Wight
Re: Clunky gear change
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 05:03:26 PM »
First thing I find mine is a bit clunky going 1st to 2nd. Tend to stir it throughout gears so as they get a covering in oil and a bit of use then generally it feels ok. That said some times in town riding it can also be a bit agricultural again 1st 2 nd. As its a shaft its fair to say it should be a tough old bit of kit so I tend not to worry about it.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 06:32:46 PM »
1st to 2nd seems to be a common issue with a number of owners. If I take off normally (not in a hurry) I don't even notice it and it shifts smoothly. However if I welly it in first off the line, and then try to shift into second I sometimes find that I have to take a second stab at second.  I have no idea why this is but it seems to be easing out as the bike builds up mileage.

Offline Cuchulainn

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: KTM 1190 Adventure
  • City / Town: Denver, CO
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 12:24:37 PM »

*Originally Posted by Grump [+]
1st to 2nd seems to be a common issue with a number of owners. If I take off normally (not in a hurry) I don't even notice it and it shifts smoothly. However if I welly it in first off the line, and then try to shift into second I sometimes find that I have to take a second stab at second.  I have no idea why this is but it seems to be easing out as the bike builds up mileage.

This pretty much sums up exactly how mine behaves as well.  The more you get on it off the line, the more likely it is to be difficult to shift between 1st and 2nd.  I am not sure why this is either.  I have experimented with pulling the clutch to the bar and holding it there for a second, and it does the same.

Hoping it will likewise ease out.
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure
2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2013 Triumph Street Triple R

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 12:23:21 PM »
An update from original post I've tried several adjustments over last few days and have improved it enough to be satisfied.
Piazios levers didn't help as much as I had hoped.  They are certainly more adjustable though and possibly helped slightly.
Biggest improvement has been adjusting lever hight.
Think I've found the sweet spot which is slightly higher than where they come stock.
Guess it depends on what boots or shoes you wear on how this will be best for you.
Unlike others who have commented my bike seems smoother when it's rev'd more between shifts. Clunkier when short shifted.
Only have 4,000 miles and expecting it to improve with more miles.
Thanks for your input, been helpful. 

Offline Studley

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
No one has mentioned or asked to this point so. Clunky at what RPM? If I am shifting from 1st to 2nd at low RPM and moving slow it can be clunky. I sometimes try to 1/2 sift it into neutral and then into second with a little throttle blip in those instances. When the RPM's are greater than 5 k on shifting then, mine is butter.

Studley

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Explorer XCa 2017
  • City / Town: EastMids
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
Rather than create a new thread, I thought I'd add to this one. I appreciate the original is now some 3 years old but I figured the collective wisdom of the forum may well have updated itself. I'm new to the Tex and bikes in general, but when I picked up my 2012 model with 26k on the clock, the gearshift felt like a switch - like the light pull in my bathroom. Just a little touch with my boot and 'snick' gear changed. In the month that I have had it, I've ridden nearly 2000 miles and loved it. If there's a better bike for me out there then I'd be surprised. However, over the last couple of hundred miles the up-shift has deteriorated, in my view, badly. It got quite stiff and incredibly noisy. Shifting anything really other then 5th to 6th when really warmed through produces a loud 'CLACK'. Sometimes a get a 'cla-clack'. Now I stress that it does not double shift, it does not slip out of gear and there's no whine at all when riding. It's just the shift.  Today the dealer (not Triumph dealership) had it back under warranty and changed the final drive oil, engine oil and filter plus checked through the linkages - which they cleaned up and greased etc. The change does feel 'free-er' if that makes sense but once warm it's still awful. I spoke to the tech who basically said that this was probably symptomatic of a 5 year old bike with 27k on the dial. It's still under sales warranty so I don't want to just accept this and end up in a fix. Now I do trust the dealer and their service on everything from helmets to bacon butties in their cafe has been simply fantastic.

I have been working on cars since I was 17 but bikes are very new to me. If this was a 4x4 gear box, I'd be hoofing it out onto the bench. But wrt the Tex, I'm a bit in the dark.

Anyone got any concise words of advice or encouragement? It may be the push I need to PX it with them and get a newer one already. Cough, don't mention it to the missus, OK?

I love the bike to bits but I don't think I can live with this issue unresolved.

Offline CaptainTrips

• Explorer God
  • Bike: '13 Explorer
  • City / Town: Vancouver(ish)
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
I spoke to the tech who basically said that this was probably symptomatic of a 5 year old bike with 27k on the dial.
Complete and utter BS.

You have a 2012 TEX with 27k on it, and if the gearbox was going to begin to show a pending failure of the shifter mechanism, then I would bet a paycheck that it would be right around that mileage. The issue is well documented here. The potential is that the bad shifter fork could engage two gears simultaneously and blow the gearbox apart.

Take it back and get them to pull the shifter cassette and look at the forks. It is relatively easy and quick from them to do.
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test."   --   Robert M. Pirsig

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 09:29:22 PM »
Then I shall certainly do that in the morning. I shall report back. I don't know exactly how technical their service department is outside of simple servicing, but I shall put it to the service manager.

Thank you.

Offline unsubtle

• Explorer Master
  • Improving impact velocity since 1904
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 12:13:16 AM »
*Originally Posted by Stillwobbling [+]
symptomatic of a 5 year old bike with 27k on the dial.

Rubbish. Bike gearboxes don't normally wear like that. I've run a couple of Daytona 1200's up past 70k miles, and my TEX is on 50k. If yours is behaving badly, it's a fault not just wear, and the problem CaptainTrips refers to could be responsible. There are a couple of things to check first though: (a) change the oil (you've done that); (b) make sure that it has the original clutch lever and the the problem still happens with the lever set as far away from the handlebar as possible, i.e. check that the clutch is fully disengaged.

BTW, the gearbox is relatively simple to work on (not that I've had mine out - most of them don't go wrong.). The innards can be removed without dismantling the rest of the engine.

Offline Stillwobbling

• Explorer Pro
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 08:43:45 AM »
Thanks for that. I shall check the lever this morning. We have a Triumph dealer in town and I'm going to whizz this past them.  If they have a fix for it then I'll get it done regardless. I love the bike and can't fault it in any other dept so I'd rather keep it than lose money swapping it.

Recent Topics