Author Topic: How To: Fit SW Motech crash bars  (Read 19140 times)

Offline Tonybiker

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer xrx
  • City / Town: Bristol
Re: How To: Fit SW Motech crash bars
Reply #50 on: April 29, 2018, 08:17:05 AM
Great shout Captain Tripps
Ill sort it this morning
Cheers :002:

Offline markustyson

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Victori, BC
Reply #51 on: October 05, 2019, 05:29:28 PM
Does anyone experience vibration issues after installing these bars?

I installed the SW-MOTECH crash bars on the weekend, which was pretty simple to do. I have since taken it for several runs and notice annoying vibration coming from the footpegs. I followed some advice, loosened and re-tightened the bolts, but the vibration persists.

Any ideas?  Thanks so much.

Offline Stuartb

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: Woking
Reply #52 on: October 05, 2019, 07:18:52 PM
No vibrations that I’ve ever noticed. Sorry, no idea what that may.
Stuart
Ask me if you have questions about any of:- Carbon fender extender, Pyramid shockshield, Triumph radiator guard, Givi SRA 6403 and 52L Trekker top box, 38L Trekker Outback cases, SW Motech crash bars and Storm handguards, GPS mount for car-based Garmin satnav, Batzen bracket, Skidmarx screen, SW Motech light mounts and LED lights with Skene Designs controller, Fuzeblock, Sena SMH10, Remus Ti Hexacone exhaust. Admore light bar. Handguard indicators/DRLs.

Offline TRITIGEX

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRX
  • City / Town: DH
Reply #53 on: October 06, 2019, 05:18:28 PM
Had SW Motech crash bars on 2 Tiger Explorers and currently on my Tiger 1200.  They all vibrated a bit around 4500-5000 RPM with or without crash bars. I suggest to check all  engine mounting bolts  first.

Offline iainbullock

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Xrt
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #54 on: June 14, 2020, 08:03:57 PM
Just fitted mine today. Very pleased with the result. Make sure you have all the required tools before starting, especially the extension bar and swivel (OP calls it a wobble)

Offline markustyson

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200
  • City / Town: Victori, BC
Reply #55 on: June 15, 2020, 01:07:51 AM
So update. I ended up taking my bike to the dealership to address the vibration. They removed and reinstalled the lower OEM bars and noted that the engine was slightly out of alignment. Once back together, I reinstalled the SW Motech bars and all vibration is gone. Well almost all but yes in that 3500-4000 rpm range there is vibration but it’s completely tolerable.

Thanks for the advice.

Offline Paul Muad'Dib

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 Desert Ed
  • City / Town: Austin
Reply #56 on: October 12, 2020, 04:00:47 AM
Wish i found this thread before installing mine last week.  :821: 
Youtube was helpful.   Instructions that came with the bars was helpful in sequence.   I found the hardest part was the connecting the bars in front of radiator.   I ended up putting something sticky on the end of my finger to hold the nut in place. 

Very pleased with how they look on the bike :047:

Online guiri

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #57 on: October 18, 2020, 04:26:30 PM
I've just fitted the upper bars on my 2018 XRT (gen 3). I understand these are the same for the gen 2 (2015 onwards). It's more convoluted than the original Explorer due to the fairing getting in the way. The front replacement bolts are now 19mm hex head rather than a hex socket, so it theory it can be spanner torqued after the fairing has been put back on. Also, I have a radiator guard on my bike, and I don't think it helped with access once I reinstalled the fairing on the right hand side, because the radiator was forced back into position.

It might be an easy job for somebody with experience (unlike me)  :008:

The comments above about wobble extender bars etc are still relevant. The specific tool sizes required for the 2018 XRT (gen 3) version are:
* 3mm and 5mm Allen keys for fairing
* 8mm and 10mm spanners for radiator bolts
* T55 Torx bit for original engine bolts (on 450mm breaker bar for example)
* 17mm offset ring spanner for left hand original nut
* 17mm socket for right hand side original nut (due to protuberance of original bolt a reasonably deep socket is required)
* 19mm wrench for new hexagon bolts
* H5, H6, H10 hex bits for new hexagon socket bolts

Having struggled like Paul above with the nuts and bolts to join the bars (especially because of my radiator guard), I suggest you tape the nuts in place in their captive slots before installing the bar.

Online jannerman

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: 2019 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Plymouth
Reply #58 on: October 18, 2020, 09:36:05 PM
Just found time to try installing my SW Motech upper bars today but It was all over before it really started.
I read the instructions... gotta remove the plastics, bit of a b*ll ache but hardly difficult.

On to the first engine bolt.... crack! Bang goes the T55 bit :005:

Lessons about your tool:
Make sure it's up to the job before you get started, otherwise it can lead to disappointment and leave the job unfinished.
A thicker, high quality one is likely to lead to greater satisfaction.

Oh and don't use a cheap Halfords 3/8" drive T55 bit! :003:

nonskid