Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's considered excessive oil consumption?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
What's considered excessive oil consumption?
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »
I've been noticing my explorer using oil lately and would like to ask what amount is considered enough to warrent a warrantee claim?
Bike is a 2013, had the head and ECU replaced.
After break in oil at 500 miles I changed the oil at 4,000 miles and planed changing it every 4,000 thereafter.
It's at 6300 miles now. 
Last week I checked the level before a planned ride of 300 miles.
It was slightly below half on sight glass so topped it up to be half between the two marks.  BTW that's checking it on side stand in my level garage.
That was last week, took it out yesterday to post a letter and thought the cam chain sounded a little too loud.  That seemed odd so when I got home I checked the level and it was at the bottom mark. 
Raised the level to top bar and that's 3/4 if a quart in a little over 2,000 miles.
The cam chain now sounds normal again.
Oil light never came on so doubt if there's any damage, plus the oil level was still visable in window.
Other thought, you wouldn't think the cam chain would get noisy if level was within limits but it did.

Offline T0mahawk

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Redbourn
Re: What's considered excessive oil consumption?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:14:03 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yamaone [+]

Last week I checked the level before a planned ride of 300 miles.
It was slightly below half on sight glass so topped it up to be half between the two marks.  BTW that's checking it on side stand in my level garage.

I hope you meant the centre stand. My Explorer hasn't yet covered enough mileage for me to offer any opinion about the oil consumption. All good so far at 1250 miles.

Offline nplenzick

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Explorer 1200
  • City / Town: Warrington, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 12:14:25 PM »
Mine just turned 8K. Hasn't burned one drop of oil. I'd say you have a problem and I would suggest contacting your dealer.

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:42:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by T0mahawk [+]
I hope you meant the centre stand. My Explorer hasn't yet covered enough mileage for me to offer any opinion about the oil consumption. All good so far at 1250 miles.

Of coarse, good catch.
Was writing post while having my first cup of coffee. :). Not engaged all the brain cells that time of morning.

Offline Bikerbuk

• Explorer Master
  • Musical Prostitute - You pay, I play!
  • Bike: Triumph Explorer
  • City / Town: Lanarkshire Scotland
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:09:20 PM »
Mmmm :084:  Been all round Europe over the summer, ove 3500 km  and not a drop of oil used.   Whilst the guys on the Gs's were checking their oil I was either at the bar or in the pool.    Sounds a bit suspicious  i'd say. 
There comes a time in everyone's life when it pays to:   Never pass a toilet, never waste a hardon and never trust a fart!

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 06:05:06 PM »
I have had 2 Tex's and neither of them used any oil that I am aware of. I generally change the oil at 4000 miles.  I assume all checking of levels is done with the bike on the centrestand in exactly the same position in your garage, and with the engine at the same temperature each time ?  If so, then the bike has to be using oil based on what you are saying here.

With regard to the Cam chain I cannot see it being affected by the oil level as long as the oil does not drop below a critical level. I have noticed noises from my tensioner at various temperatures of the engine, even though it has been replaced in conjunction with the new head.

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »
The oil is always checked in same spot in the garage. Been riding motorcycles 40 years, none have used this much oil or had as many issues.
There's definitely something wrong.
The cam started making racket yesterday and likely a different issue.
I thought yesterday topping up the oil had solved the cam chain clatter but rode today and it's making a lot of noise.  It's louder than before I had the head replaced. 
I'm really bummed with this bike.  I'll get it in tomorrow if I can but not feeling warm and fuzzy about this.

Offline Jon

• Explorer God
  • Bike: 2012 TEX
  • City / Town: Harlan, Iowa
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:47:45 PM »
Let us know what you find out. Yours is the first one that I've heard about using ANY oil...  :084:
Jon

Offline redmerle

• Explorer God
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »
According to the user manual, you should check the oil when it is off the stand and stood on two wheels; a little bizarre, as this means it's a two person job. However, probably best to check it the way the factory recommends....

Offline Alameda XC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer XC
  • City / Town: Alameda, CA
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 11:35:37 PM »
I've checked it both ways (standing on both wheels and using the center stand) - there's virtually no difference. As Jon says above - this is the first I've heard of an Explorer using ANY oil.

Recent Topics