Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's considered excessive oil consumption?  (Read 4251 times)

Offline Jersey Boy

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Washington MI
Re: What's considered excessive oil consumption?
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 12:56:03 AM »
I added a bit of oil to my bike within the first 2,000 miles or so. had the head done at 3,300 miles. Not a drop since. I did change teh oil at 5,000 it has over 7,000 now with no more consumption.

Offline T140Dave

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX, T140V, CT110
  • City / Town: Mt Gambier S Aust
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 02:46:58 AM »
Some of the other Triumph triples are notorious for using oil - in particular the 1050s and the 675s. Its luck of the draw how your own bike behaves. My own Speed Trip used a lot of oil, my partner's basically the same motor in her Sprint uses none that's measurable. My S3 went like sh#t off a shovel, and ran very crisply. The dealer had the thing for ages checking it out and eventually I got the word back that Triumph had decreed it was operating within acceptable parameters, whatever that means. In other words they were saying that depending on how hung over the QA guy was that day, they were signing off on motors with widely varying tolerances. So I kept riding it and it made no difference except I had to check the oil and fill it back up every 1,000 kms.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. Will Rogers

Offline -Hoops-

• Explorer Master
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 08:22:24 AM »
*Originally Posted by T140Dave [+]
Some of the other Triumph triples are notorious for using oil
:0461:, especially if you run them hard when cold.

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 12:01:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by -Hoops- [+]

You didn't imply I did but just thought I'd go on record saying I don't normally ride off until there's two bars showing and even then I take it easy till warmed up.
Dealer has the bike now.  See what there thoughts are.
When I dropped it off yesterday they had a list of issues to check.
Cruise quit working, noisy head, oil consumption, cutting out.
They loaned me another explorer.  It's motor is noticeably stronger running.
Might call today and mention it.
Hopefully get this thing sorted.

Offline EdNeth

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: TriumphExplorer
  • City / Town: Zwolle
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »
Hello,

Drove first Explorer 16000km, after the first oil change (1600km) no noticable oil use.
Second one so far 6500km, after first oil change no noticable use.
I check before every ride with a cold engine (first at sidestand and then pulling the bike level) and 5 min after i drove the bike, same procedure. With hot oil the level is a bit higher, even above the highest level, but so far no visible use,
Same with my Tiger 1050. 43000 km, not one extra oil filling between two maintenances. At one point it did use some oil due to a leaking rubber, only a few drops.

Greetings Edneth

Offline redbullaholic

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: Tiger Explorer
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 07:59:33 PM »
mine has not lost a drop, even after a spirited 2,500mile trip round spain last month with luggage. My old 1050 used half a litre of oil on the same trip a few years earlier....
Meine Ehre heißt Treue

Offline Explorer 62

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: Yam S10, R1150R
  • City / Town: Burton on Trent
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by redbullaholic [+]
mine has not lost a drop, even after a spirited 2,500mile trip round spain last month with luggage. My old 1050 used half a litre of oil on the same trip a few years earlier....

My Tex never burnt a drop in 10K miles.

My 1050 sport must have burnt 3.6 liters of oil in the 61 miles riding home from the dealer whilst running it in, I checked the dip stick the next morning & it was dry....., or was that the service manager couldn't be arsed to do a PDI.

Offline T140Dave

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX, T140V, CT110
  • City / Town: Mt Gambier S Aust
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2014, 03:27:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by -Hoops- [+]

Never ran my Speed Trip hard from cold. Warmed it while doing my jacket, up, putting helmet/gloves on, once moving kept the motor on light throttle and 3-5000 thou on tacho until the temp hit half way up the gauge. Same treatment with other bikes, no measurable oil consumption. Some is ok. I think 600-1000 ml per 1000 km is too much.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. Will Rogers

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:56 AM »
Hi guys, here's an update. 
Yesterday I talked with my dealer and he didn't think the (new) head was making any excessive noise. Hmmm?  Well at least I thought it was making more than previous week. 
They were looking into my other claims. 
While there waiting I noticed a new 2013 venom Green Speed Triple and decided to take a test ride.
During ride I thought to myself why the he11 did I sell my original speed triple a few years back.
Reluctantly returned and asked what they would do on a trade.
The bike was reduced because being a left over 2013 and had $500.00 free accessories.
It's done.  Traded on the spot and now have a new Speed Triple in my garage.
Won't go away, I'll keep lurking on the Explorer side.
Thanks for the support.

Offline Griff

• Explorer God
  • Bike: Explorer and others
  • City / Town: Wicklow
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by Yamaone [+]
Hi guys, here's an update. 
Yesterday I talked with my dealer and he didn't think the (new) head was making any excessive noise. Hmmm?  Well at least I thought it was making more than previous week. 
They were looking into my other claims. 
While there waiting I noticed a new 2013 venom Green Speed Triple and decided to take a test ride.
During ride I thought to myself why the he11 did I sell my original speed triple a few years back.
Reluctantly returned and asked what they would do on a trade.
The bike was reduced because being a left over 2013 and had $500.00 free accessories.
It's done.  Traded on the spot and now have a new Speed Triple in my garage.
Won't go away, I'll keep lurking on the Explorer side.
Thanks for the support.

It is a shame that you felt compelled to move on from this bike. I fully understand why you did, as I was very close to doing so last year over the Head issue. Best of luck with your new bike. 

Recent Topics

nonskid