Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What's considered excessive oil consumption?  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Yamaone

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: 1200 Tiger
  • City / Town: Raymore
Re: What's considered excessive oil consumption?
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 12:21:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Griff [+]
It is a shame that you felt compelled to move on from this bike. I fully understand why you did, as I was very close to doing so last year over the Head issue. Best of luck with your new bike.

Thanks. 
Likely there was a head issue again.  Dealer didn't think it was excessively loud but being louder from one day to next isn't right.  Who knows how the oil usage would have played out.
Kind of last straw with the above and it cutting out as if it wasn't getting fuel.
I've had my eyes on this Speed Triple for before I bought the Explorer.
Owned one 8 years ago and realize now I regretted selling it.
Watched as they uncrated this bike way back over a year ago and thought it was awsum.
Amazing to me someone didn't grabbed it up. 
Guess it was meant to be, just had to wait till the price was right.

Offline T140Dave

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: TEX, T140V, CT110
  • City / Town: Mt Gambier S Aust
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 11:30:02 PM »
Despite the oil consumption I loved my Speed Trip to bits. Unfortunately the permanent affects of a really nasty crash a few years ago are so intrusive that I was finding a full day in the saddle (my normal riding behaviour, I tend to do long distances or nothing) very uncomfortable. Such a shame. If not for this I would have traded it when the time came on a new S3.

I tried to justify keeping the bike when I bought the TEX. It was a reluctant sale. The TEX is a far better long distance bike but IMHO the Speed Trip is a way better all round do anything motorcycle package.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. Will Rogers

Offline CT,tiger usa

• Explorer Pro
  • my tiger
  • Bike: explorer1200
  • City / Town: Torrington CT
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2014, 11:31:46 PM »
My bike does not use oil none !10,000 miles . my Tiger 1050 on the highway on long trips drank it! My explorer never needs oil. And after the head change is quiet too!

Offline Raclard

• Explorer Junior
  • Bike: Explorer
  • City / Town: East Molesey
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2019, 06:21:11 PM »
For what it's worth, my 2015 Explorer was serviced at 30,000 and, having put 5,000 on it since I checked the oil today to find it hasn't used any. The exhaust is clean and dry with no sign of carbon or oily deposit. Impressive.

Recent Topics

nonskid