Author Topic: How To Use TigerTool V3.0 Service Utility Software  (Read 14844 times)

Online 636mick

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Daventry
Re: How To Use TigerTool V3.0 Service Utility Software
Reply #30 on: October 10, 2021, 08:05:31 PM
Just wondered, will V3 run on a Chromebook, anyone know please? I understand windows, Apple but chromebook confuses the heck out of me!! Just got given one as my windows laptop is a secure gov issue job so won’t allow downloads!!
I want to activate TPMS among other bits.
Cheers
Mick
Playing in the traffic on the M1.

Online 636mick

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: triumph explorer
  • City / Town: Daventry
Reply #31 on: October 15, 2021, 06:46:03 PM
S’ok, sorted. While rearranging some crap in the loft I found an old windows laptop, sorted a few things out, downloaded V3, all works great.
Now, where’s the best place to but TPMS sensors!!
Ta
Mick
Playing in the traffic on the M1.

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT 2018
  • City / Town: Central Florida
Reply #32 on: October 28, 2021, 03:49:44 PM
I just noticed the recommended scan tool "bbfly-BF32301" is now available in US-Amazon again and I just ordered one for US$ 20.85.  The bad thing is delivery is stated at about 6 weeks...  Dec 10-18.  But that is just about the right timing for my 10K service.  I talked to my local Triumph dealer yesterday and the Service Rep stated they typically charge $65 for a service light reset, about half of their hourly rate (I just can't do that!).  I checked Ali-Express last week for the scanner and it was $13 with a coupon code ($3 off) and free shipping, but I prefer to go through Amazon, even at the higher price.  Either way, I'm saving good money on the next service reset over the dealer.

Here is the link if interested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N22B3FQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:00:12 PM by FL-Tig-Rider
75,000 miles in a Tiger saddle and counting!
My Intro Post
My 2001 Tiger 955i For Sale

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #33 on: November 23, 2021, 07:11:46 PM
My bbfly-BF32301 interface arrived early and naturally I had to try it.  I received the "ECU Read Error!" message until I realized that even though the TFT was fully initialized and displaying the speedo by hitting the top of the button, the ignition isn't ON until you click the rocker down to the crank position.  The previous owner told me the top of the switch works like an On/Off button on many devices.  He said hit the top side of the rocker to power up and then to crank, you push and hold the lower part of the switch. 

Reading the owner's manual on this point (finally!), I think I can immediately hit and hold the bottom of the rocker to power up and start the bike in one step (didn't try it just now in a closed garage) without first hitting the "power" button (the top side of the rocker) to initialize TFT, so maybe I learned a shortcut today!

Thanks again T800XC...  I'm looking forward to using this tool in the near future. 

Let us know if you ever get the TPMS issue figured out on the chassis ECU late model bikes.  In the meantime, I found a pretty decent $40 TPMS system that works well.  Only problem is, the display is not spec'd as waterproof (fortunately though, light rain has not hurt it yet).
My Intro Post

Online KenW

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 Tiger 1200 XRt
  • City / Town: Adelaide
Reply #34 on: December 08, 2021, 03:31:56 AM
For some reason my T1200 service interval was up, though far from the distance needed for the next service (64kkm).
So the spanner was displayed, bugging me, and no way to reset it from the bike menu.

I downloaded Tiger Tool.
Tried to run it under Wine on Ubuntu Linux.  The app runs, but I couldn't get the serial port connected to the Bluetooth OBD dongle (using just the Bluetooth GUI).
Rats.
Booted up Windows 10.  (Only do that when desperate.)  Connected Bluetooth to the OBD dongle, ran the Tiger Tool, connected fine on COM4.
With no reading of the instructions, I was able to reset the service-due date.  Spanner gone.
(OK, I did have the ignition off, so tried again with it on -that worked.)

Thank you sir.

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 05:58:10 PM
So I thought everything was working fine with the TigerTool ECU connection last time I tried it.  But I now have the Wrench icon displayed on the screen long before the 10K service is due (I’m at the 9009 mile mark).  I jumped in to verify what the service interval was set to and found this…  0 Mile Odometer reading on the Instrument tab.  This most certainly seems like the issue because if the ECU (or maybe just TigerTool?) doesn’t know how many miles the bike has on it, how can it tell you when it needs service. 

I can change any of the setting and hit “Reset” on this screen, and although it responds as if it is working, the wrench doesn’t disappear.  And the next time I connect, it still retains the original settings before my changes.  I tried drastic changes and nothing saved.

Picture M074

This following image was snipped from the TigerTool user manual and clearly shows a mileage in that spot (but with less other information below it).

Picture M075

Please note I had the ignition on with engine off and also the engine running while connected and the results were the same. 

I would immediately jump to the conclusion that ECU communication is really not being made, but it acts like it is because I get the ECU connection window:

Picture M076

I also can see this data under the “Info” tab.

Picture M077

Furthermore, I witnessed the C1682 error when checking the ABS DTC and could Erase it (and witnessed 0 error count) using TigerTool if the bike has rolled far enough (15 ft or so) to make the dash ABS light stop flashing (engine still running).

Picture M078

Any insight as to what I might be doing wrong?  Thanks.
My Intro Post

Offline llama

• Explorer Member
  • Bike: 2018 XRT, 2008 1050
  • City / Town: NC, USA
Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 09:03:31 PM
This is a shot in the dark, but 11.9V seems a bit low.  It might seem a bit strange, but could you charge up your battery and try again?  Does it display a good voltage when the bike is running? 

There's kind of a meme on reddit that every single motorcycle electrical problem can be traced to a low battery. 

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 09:33:21 PM
*Originally Posted by llama [+]
This is a shot in the dark, but 11.9V seems a bit low.  It might seem a bit strange, but could you charge up your battery and try again?  Does it display a good voltage when the bike is running? 

There's kind of a meme on reddit that every single motorcycle electrical problem can be traced to a low battery.
Thanks for your thoughts and time to chime in.  Voltage shows 14.0+V when running and about 12.0V is what it is with ignition on (ECU/system powered up, lights on, fuel pump running) but with engine not running.  My results were the same, unfortunately, with the engine running and 14V showing.  The battery shows 12.8V when ignition is off and the bike spends time on a battery tender when not out and about.  Battery is about a year old and seems to be in good condition yet (I typically get 3-4 years out of them).
My Intro Post

Online T800XC

• Explorer Master
  • Topic Author
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XRT
  • City / Town: English Riviera
Reply #38 on: January 05, 2022, 01:27:08 AM
I've only got limited internet access at the moment so I'll answer as best I can...

As-per the TigerTool instructions the displayed battery voltage is just an estimate that's read from the OBD interface's internal sensor and is unlikely to be relevant in this case.

What's of most interest is the odometer reading of 0 miles. This value is taken from the instruments  via the CAN-bus. I think I've seen something similar on one Tiger Sport so will need to look into this later and possibly provide some debug testing information.

Also, there's no way to ask the bike for the current remaining service interval / distance. TigerTool only provides the current ODO value and allows the user to set a new service interval. Unfortunately you have to look at the instrument panel and read the service interval manually.

Since the bike appears to be a 2018 XRT I'm assuming it's got a TFT instrument panel, in which case the service distance AND date must both be set to suitable values to turn off the service wrench notification, as has been mentioned previously on here.

As listed when V3.3 was released, the instruction manual didn't get updated but the changes are documented on here in my release comments. Updating the manual is always a big job but I didn't have time to do it for relatively small changes that V3.3 provided over V3.0.
...Desire ends in satisfaction...

Offline FL-Tig-Rider

• Explorer Member
  • Tiger Owner since 2001
Reply #39 on: January 05, 2022, 05:16:56 PM
*Originally Posted by T800XC [+]
I've only got limited internet access at the moment so I'll answer as best I can...

As-per the TigerTool instructions the displayed battery voltage is just an estimate that's read from the OBD interface's internal sensor and is unlikely to be relevant in this case.

What's of most interest is the odometer reading of 0 miles. This value is taken from the instruments  via the CAN-bus. I think I've seen something similar on one Tiger Sport so will need to look into this later and possibly provide some debug testing information.

Also, there's no way to ask the bike for the current remaining service interval / distance. TigerTool only provides the current ODO value and allows the user to set a new service interval. Unfortunately you have to look at the instrument panel and read the service interval manually.

Since the bike appears to be a 2018 XRT I'm assuming it's got a TFT instrument panel, in which case the service distance AND date must both be set to suitable values to turn off the service wrench notification, as has been mentioned previously on here.

As listed when V3.3 was released, the instruction manual didn't get updated but the changes are documented on here in my release comments. Updating the manual is always a big job but I didn't have time to do it for relatively small changes that V3.3 provided over V3.0.

Thanks for the info.  Yes, the bike is a 2018 XRT with TFT.  I'm pretty certain I tried updating distance and date before the RESET (tried EVERYTHING at least once, I think), but I can try that specifically again.  I will be happy to help debug if you need anything on my end.  I plan to keep the bike for a number of years and I really would like the ability to service as much as possible on it myself.
My Intro Post

nonskid