Author Topic: TSAS my take on it  (Read 494 times)

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
TSAS my take on it
on: February 22, 2021, 09:56:07 AM
I managed my first proper run out on the Tigger yesterday and was very impressed with it. I can tell I'm going to 'get on' with this bike already. One thing I did get a chance to fiddle on with yesterday was the TSAS suspension settings. I noticed that on the softest end of the spectrum the bike was very prone to running wide, OK turning in but it really wanted to go wide. However, tweaking it up to the firm end of the spectrum the bike was very eager to turn in, held a really neutral line and could be easily coaxed into taking a tighter line without upsetting the bike. I guess it's the rear preload changing the rake & trail by 'jacking up' the rear more than the front ? I also found that the bike was actually more comfortable (for me, I'm a big old hector) at the sportier end of the spectrum. Just my thoughts on a relatively short ride but on some lovely twisty roads I know well while out 'shopping'. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks ?
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Re: TSAS my take on it
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2021, 10:44:02 AM
The suspension settings will definitely affect the way the bike handles, and turn-in is a good example of this.
I regularly change riding mode (which adjusts the TSAS as well as throttle response etc.) while riding so that I can enjoy the twisty's but also take advantage of the extra comfort on the boring bits. This is a big advantage of being able to change riding modes on the fly  :467: 

Offline XCaTel

• Explorer Master
  • Bike: 2018 T12 & 1995 D12
  • City / Town: County Kildare
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 12:39:23 PM
*Originally Posted by NorthumBryan [+]
I managed my first proper run out on the Tigger yesterday and was very impressed with it. I can tell I'm going to 'get on' with this bike already. One thing I did get a chance to fiddle on with yesterday was the TSAS suspension settings. I noticed that on the softest end of the spectrum the bike was very prone to running wide, OK turning in but it really wanted to go wide. However, tweaking it up to the firm end of the spectrum the bike was very eager to turn in, held a really neutral line and could be easily coaxed into taking a tighter line without upsetting the bike. I guess it's the rear preload changing the rake & trail by 'jacking up' the rear more than the front ? I also found that the bike was actually more comfortable (for me, I'm a big old hector) at the sportier end of the spectrum. Just my thoughts on a relatively short ride but on some lovely twisty roads I know well while out 'shopping'. It will be interesting to see what everyone else thinks ?

No, it is not as the preload does not change with the damping settings or rider modes (apart from when you set it to off road). The bike sets the preload when the bike is stopped, and the engine is running. In other words, your bike can set the preload at the start of your journey and 300 miles later it is still at the exact same place. Should your pillion get off mid journey the bike, if it is stationery and engine running, it will readjust the preload to suit. If they leapt off the bike at 100 MPH on the motorway your preload would not change until your next stop.  :005: I know that is extreme, just trying to illustrate the point. But you are probably on the money on that rake & trail in that with softer damping it is probably sitting down more at the rear in that turn due to the bike’s forces compressing the rear more. I do love the suspension on this bike, it copes with anything. Switching to off-road mode will lower the rear preload specifically to rake the bike out to give a more stable front end on that rougher surface.

Offline NorthumBryan

• Explorer Pro
  • Topic Author
  • NorthumBryan
  • Bike: Tigger 1200 Alpine
  • City / Town: Northumberland
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:54:33 PM
Cheers for the replies chaps, it is a very interesting feature and I personally like the feel one notch off the maximum at the sporty side. It feels very composed over undulations and it really hides it's weight very well. I have to be honest and I'm not finding it that heavy ? I'll change my mind no doubt when my foot slips on gravel or something but it seems no heavier than my former Supertenere 1200 ? Really looking forward to knocking some miles onto the bike now though.
Talking bollocks since 1965...

Offline Bruce Wayne

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Tiger 1200 XCA
  • City / Town: Winterswijk
Reply #4 on: February 22, 2021, 03:17:28 PM
*Originally Posted by CraptainC [+]
The suspension settings will definitely affect the way the bike handles, and turn-in is a good example of this.
I regularly change riding mode (which adjusts the TSAS as well as throttle response etc.) while riding so that I can enjoy the twisty's but also take advantage of the extra comfort on the boring bits. This is a big advantage of being able to change riding modes on the fly  :467:

But keep in mind, not all modes are on the fly :467:

Offline CraptainC

• Explorer Pro
  • Bike: Gen3 XCa
  • City / Town: Chester
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2021, 03:23:01 PM
*Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne [+]
But keep in mind, not all modes are on the fly :467:

Yes, thought that as I was typing but didn't want to confuse things further  :467: